Lifting the end of a log with a jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob - Is this for lifting AND supporting or just lifting and putting a log underneath?
Have you thought of using a set of skidding or lifting tongs?

A big log and tongs will require a real tall jack. I don't think my 4 footer would work so well. Otherwise it seems it would work.

What Bob shows would let you jack (blocking as you go) up a good height without resetting the grip on the log.

Tongs, a fulcrum and a long lever handle would be good I think. It would be bulky and heavy but caveman simple. But if you're 10 feet away pulling the lever, slipping the blocks under the log might be tough.

BobL Internet at the campsite? Nice. Did you bring your mill? Hope your enjoying your self in your summer weather. It's -12c here right now. I can't even get cell phone when we are camping at the lake. :cheers:

A big log and tongs will require a real tall jack.
I don't think my 4 footer would work so well. Otherwise it seems it would work.
That's right
Also bear in mind that really big logs don't need to be lifter at all.
I usually start milling logs bigger than about 40" diam while they are on the ground.
Then after I have taken about 6" worth of timber off it I raise one end by about 6".
Then after I have taken about another 6" worth of slabs off it I raise one end by about another 6".
Then after I have taken about another 6" worth of slabs off it I raise both ends by another 6".
etc.
The most in total I lift one end from the ground is about 3 ft.

What Bob shows would let you jack (blocking as you go) up a good height without resetting the grip on the log.
Correct!

Tongs, a fulcrum and a long lever handle would be good I think. It would be bulky and heavy but caveman simple. But if you're 10 feet away pulling the lever, slipping the blocks under the log might be tough.
There are ways eg I have seen this done with the long end of a lever slipped under and held by the tow bar of a motor vehicle. However, it's not always possible to get a motor vehicle into position around the log.

BobL Internet at the campsite? Nice. Did you bring your mill? Hope your enjoying your self in your summer weather. It's -12c here right now. I can't even get cell phone when we are camping at the lake. :cheers:
Sure is nice summer weather here. Yesterday it hit the 100F - quite unusual on the south coast to even get above about 85F.

Yeah, the campsite has wireless network but I use my cell phone based wireless broadband dongle. We are about a mile across the inlet from the cell phone tower in town so reception is excellent. I have to watch myself otherwise all I do is sleep, eat, drink (very nice local red wine) and play about on the internet. There's heaps to do, fish, boat, hiking, beach or more slow paced stuff like wineries, restaurants etc

Here is our campsite.
attachment.php

You can see our camp oven in the foreground - we bake bread, pizza etc - see details here.
I'm sitting under the big green awning looking out on this view
attachment.php

Last year I was sharpening my chains on the same spot.

Heading upriver in BIL's boat (yep that's BIL as in BIL Mill)
attachment.php

No Mill :)()- but in two weeks time I come back with the mill. :rock:

BobL looks nice. Have drink for me while you enjoy the sun. -15c here right now.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=68641

Here is the lift I use. I have since converted to a cable winch (come-along) instead of the mechanical lever. Made it a one man tool.

I have used it several times and have dead lifted more than 1000 pounds with it. The only change I would make would be to make it one foot taller. That way I could clear the bed of my Chevy without repositioning.

Back