Lifting tongs or something simular

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to have a real mess to clean up its 6 to 10 ft. lengths of big dia. pine that will be just dropped in a pile as they first take all the limbs off then start chunking it down from the top. I thought if I had a set of lifting tongs hanging from my loader bucket it would make an easy job of lifting them up and out of the pile . Problem is lifting tongs not skidding tongs are at least 200.00 or more . Trying to see if there is another option or something I could rig up on my bucket that would be as easy the tongs instead of trying to use a chain , any ideas?

I've thought of making a set of tongs myself. A quick search of "log tongs" on google images shows several home-made sets on the first page for doing just what you want. I can't speak to how well they work, but it seems the owners are fairly happy with them.

Same problem I found other places , there calling them skidding tongs , not sure if there made to lift logs off the ground , probably would bend . Hadn't thought about making them , I have some 1'' thick steel plate that would probably work but I would need a set to look at to get the pivot point right , not sure how critical it would be .

OP why do you want to lift and not skid? Keep the wood clean? Lawn damage? problem with tongs you need a guy to set the tongs and one to run the tractor

You can lift with the skid tongs its just not very safe in case the wood rolls or comes out of the tongs.

We bought a set at an auction, not sure of brand but its the heavy blue ones. 200 $ new. My thought was to use them to lift large rounds onto the splitter. It works but not very fast. We just ended up using the forks on the loader to pick them up.

For all that cutting / welding you could make a set of forks and use them to pick up the lengths. IF you were closer I would sell ya the tongs cheap lol

Just my 2 cents

I'm no expert, but I imagine that the lifting vs. skidding tongs is like skidding vs. binding chain. The metal is of a different grade, but for all practical purposes about the same. Example, your binding chain better be certified for hauling a commercial load on the highway, but for joe homeowner the hardware store "out-of-a-bucket" chain is ok. It boils down to common sense. If it doesn't look safe, its probly not. I've used old ice tongs as log tongs for years. The rivet that holds them together looks hand forged. I've skidded and lifted some heavy stuff. I just don't get under anything in the air. I'd bet you would be fine with skidding tongs in a lifting situation as well as you'd be using non-rated chain.

Lifting tongs have to be certified at X# Federal standards. Skidding tongs are not certified. More of an insurance thing Liability wise for a producing company.

Skidding Tongs

The problem of the tongs slipping off the log unless two people are working together until the tension on the winch is tight can be solved.

I've got a homemade set made with 1" angle iron. The pivot point is adjustable and I have no trouble with something 20" in diameter. I can use these to either skid or lift and I have never dropped a log while loading it into my pickup or setting one down onto my splitter.

Here is how I keep the points dug in and the tension on the points until I can get back to the winch. My homemade ones are shaped like a large X. Across the top of the X I have a long spring (one like a doorspring). If I skid a log I put the tongs on the end of the log and tap the points in deeper with a hammer and the spring holds the tension.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Nosmo

I thought they would be easier to use than forks because this stuff is going to be just dropped in a pile so the logs are going to be all over the place at different angles .Thought I could pick away at the pile lifting logs off the top , I think skidding would make a mess as I would be pulling alot of branches with me . I did make up a set real quick out of some heavy 2'' x 2'' square tubing 30'' long , I'll see how they work and get back with a report , thanks for the suggestions .

I got a set of grapnel hooks from Tractor Supply last year, probably spent $40 on them. Don't remember exactly - they were on sale. However, I move all kinds of wood, as you can perhaps see in the picture, and they're easy on - easy off. I just take my front bucket off, attach the grapnels with some chain link and open-end hooks, and I'm in business!View attachment 274526

Thats what i'm thinking of , looks good , how does just one tong in the middle work on a 6 or 7 ft log ?

tongs

Timber-Tuff tongs at Tractor Supply looks capable for what you want to do. 80.00 bucks. No heating,welding or guessing about angles.pivot points or what type metal to use. my .02 cents.

dhopkins do you have a helper set the tongs each pic or is it on/off the tractor for each log?

That is a nice looking pile of logs by the way

I use the skidding tongs from TSC. they are black and bright green. Same ones mentioned earlier. the points have come out on me a few times so i welded them in. I use them only for lifting, and after repeately lifting 1000's of lbs of logs with them and getting rough with them, they are showing some wear. the heaviest log i picked up was about the maximum for my tractor. I dont hesitate to use them for lifting anything...I also dont get under them when i do. (Common Sense)

edit: And those Points are SHARP, And i like it that way!

Last edited:
dhopkins do you have a helper set the tongs each pic or is it on/off the tractor for each log?

That is a nice looking pile of logs by the way

I can usually just drop the tongs (meaning lower the bucket arms) over either a large log, or a couple of small ones and lift. Sometimes I have more luck than others. When the logs are lying uneven, I just get off the tractor and place the tongs around several logs myself, get back on & lift. Also use a helper from time to time.

@ Chugbug: I suppose if you have an eye for balance one tong in the middle will work!

Latest posts

Back