light and functional saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgotwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The only saddle i have ever used is my buckingham floating d with independent leg straps. Very good saddle but want to lightweight as possible to make it easier on the body. The problem is that how do i pick a new one without trying it on first.

Here are a few that i may be interested in-
Sherrill has glide - $346
tree motion - $489
versatile - $273

Baileys tree flex - $449

These are some that jump out at me. I don't mind spending money on gear so that's not an issue. I'm also going to get myself a pair of titanium climbers to switch out the steel ones. Got some 7/16 samson velocity to save some weight.

Anyway whats the deal - do i just jump in and order one, try it on hang from my rope and if it don't feel good send it back.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

The only saddle i have ever used is my buckingham floating d with independent leg straps. Very good saddle but want to lightweight as possible to make it easier on the body. The problem is that how do i pick a new one without trying it on first.

Here are a few that i may be interested in-
Sherrill has glide - $346
tree motion - $489
versatile - $273

Baileys tree flex - $449

These are some that jump out at me. I don't mind spending money on gear so that's not an issue. I'm also going to get myself a pair of titanium climbers to switch out the steel ones. Got some 7/16 samson velocity to save some weight.

Anyway whats the deal - do i just jump in and order one, try it on hang from my rope and if it don't feel good send it back.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

The glide is not that light......

I would say the Butterfly II would fit your needs perfectly. I have been in one for a while now and its great.

Call Sherrill, and ask them to ship you a few and then send back the ones you dont like. Its tough when there are no retail shops close by.

Good Luck

I would say the Butterfly II would fit your needs perfectly. I have been in one for a while now and its great.

The glide is about 5lbs and butterfly about 4lbs and my buck is about 7lbs, so to drop 3lbs would be sweet. Is the butterfly full independent leg - cause in the pics they seem almost connected. Also was wondering if it is possible to add more hooks or what-ever to the belt of the butterfly(kinda like the buck saddles) That way i could set it up like old saddle.

thanks BostonBull

The glide is about 5lbs and butterfly about 4lbs and my buck is about 7lbs, so to drop 3lbs would be sweet. Is the butterfly full independent leg - cause in the pics they seem almost connected. Also was wondering if it is possible to add more hooks or what-ever to the belt of the butterfly(kinda like the buck saddles) That way i could set it up like old saddle.

thanks BostonBull

There are two versions.....the Buttrfly (independent legs) and the DragonFly (Batten Seat)

Yes you can add hooks to the BFII, I have mine close to the D's.

lightweight saddle

try looking if you can at the PETZEL NAVAHO one of the guys i work with swears by it .i use KOMET DRAGONFLY but iam old and its like a sofa to me yours old timer

try looking if you can at the PETZEL NAVAHO one of the guys i work with swears by it .i use KOMET DRAGONFLY but iam old and its like a sofa to me yours old timer

I tried the Navaho, I didn't find it comfortable at all. But everyone fit and needs are different.
I'd consider a long road trip to actually try on a saddle before I bought one.
Most VERMEER dealers carry Sherrilltree products, and There are VERMEER dealers everywhere.

If you do end up ordering a saddle, definitely order from Sherrilltree, they have the best customer service in the tree biz.

Last edited:
I have a butterfly and a versitile. The versitile is heavyer but way more comfortable in my opinion. No pressure on the jewels

Corey

dragonfly is the way to go man. nothing like sitting on the love seat.

Well it seems to be narrowing down to -

Treeflex (lot of ergonomic thought went into that design)

Butterfly (lot of you pro's saying good things)

Tree Motion - well not sure about this one, looks pretty sweet (not sure on the weight)

Going to have to read a little longer.

thanks again

Put my vote down for the Butterfly. I just got one after trying on almost everything and absolutely love it. I was reading on another forum and they voted it the most popular saddle. I still went and tried before I bought, but in hindsight I could have saved the trip. I doubt you will regret it.

I'll second Boston Bulls suggestion of getting Sherrill to send you a couple/few saddles and try them out. I personally am very happy with my Glide, it is a well made saddle; not that light but it is well made and strong. I just checked my saddle this morning it is a 2005, still in excellent shape.

Also, being a northerner you might appreciate the amount of adjustability it has for different amounts of clothing.

I also use the 7/16 velocity and won't be switching to anything else in the near future. Love it.

D Mc

Well it seems to be narrowing down to -

Treeflex (lot of ergonomic thought went into that design)

Butterfly (lot of you pro's saying good things)

Tree Motion - well not sure about this one, looks pretty sweet (not sure on the weight)

Going to have to read a little longer.

thanks again

My vote is for the dragonfly. The other two saddles you mention are first generation, haven't even been on the market for a year yet.

to add to your choices check out the Petzl SRT Sequoia........

try this on for size

If you do end up ordering a saddle, definitely order from Sherrilltree, they have the best customer service in the tree biz.

I bought a saddle from sherrill and asked what the return policy was on it, cause i was running into the same problem, wanted a new saddle but didn't want to buy blind without work experience in it. I explained this to sherrill the individual i talked to said it would be no problem as long as it was in "new" shape when returned. Well i tryed it for a week maybe two, cleaned it took great care then called to return it. "ohhh well we don't normally give a full refund on saddles already used unless in absolute perfect condition," yeah pissed me off.

So i would not suggest buying a bunch and trying to use and return policy. I ended up buying through wesspur they were much more friendly and return policy was better as well. My suggestion is find someone either on this site or on ******** that already has the saddle but only as a back up and ask to try theirs just pay for the shipping and handling. Thats what i did worked out great!!! Either that or like already suggested take the trip to a place where they sell and try them all on. Worth every penny of the trip when you get to compare and buy the saddle that your most confident in, takes all the what-if's and should-have's out of the picture.

Hope this helps, and if money isn't an object and you liked the floating suspension system try the treemotion or treeflex. You won't be dissapointed.

I bought a saddle from sherrill and asked what the return policy was on it, cause i was running into the same problem, wanted a new saddle but didn't want to buy blind without work experience in it. I explained this to sherrill the individual i talked to said it would be no problem as long as it was in "new" shape when returned. Well i tryed it for a week maybe two, cleaned it took great care then called to return it. "ohhh well we don't normally give a full refund on saddles already used unless in absolute perfect condition," yeah pissed me off.

So i would not suggest buying a bunch and trying to use and return policy. I ended up buying through wesspur they were much more friendly and return policy was better as well. My suggestion is find someone either on this site or on ******** that already has the saddle but only as a back up and ask to try theirs just pay for the shipping and handling. Thats what i did worked out great!!! Either that or like already suggested take the trip to a place where they sell and try them all on. Worth every penny of the trip when you get to compare and buy the saddle that your most confident in, takes all the what-if's and should-have's out of the picture.

Hope this helps, and if money isn't an object and you liked the floating suspension system try the treemotion or treeflex. You won't be dissapointed.

They told you up front it had to be in NEW shape to return it. What about that didn't you understand ?
If you used it for "a week or two" and had to clean it, it certainly wasn't in NEW shape.

You were the one being unreasonable, not Sherrill .
I've dealt with both them and Wespur hundreds of times, I wouldn't expect ether of them , or any company for that matter
to accept a return on a item that wasn't in perfect condition or defective.

Grow up man, Would you want someone to buy something from you, use it for 2 weeks and bring it back just because they didn't like it ?
What would you tell them if they wanted a 100 % refund after you told them up front the item had to be in new condition ? And it wasn't.

Last edited:

Have you tried either of these above mentioned?

I would really like to try a treeflex...I think the more i look at the tree motion i tend to think it may not work for me.

My vote is for the dragonfly. The other two saddles you mention are first generation, haven't even been on the market for a year yet.

to add to your choices check out the Petzl SRT Sequoia........

Well you make a very good point there OTG. Everyone has had alot of good stuff to say about the dragonfly/butterfly,glide and the versatile. But that dam treeflex is calling me.

I'm not rulling out the Sequoia either, but i think its not out till march (i believe that was from sherrill). Petzl may be the lightest saddle out there.

I just ordered about a $1000.00 worth of new gear (MERRY X-MASS TO ME)
but i can't pull the trigger on this one yet.

Latest posts

Back