Limbing above shoulder height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreesFall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was taught not to limb above shoulder height. Anyone here ignore that rule? If so what type of saw do you use?

You talkin a tree ya just nocked down or prunin a standing tree.
And for me yes to both

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I have ignored it in the past, but I am trying to force myself into not doing it anymore. I really need to invest in a pole saw, that should put an end to it.

So...
Are ladders out of the question?

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
It's industry best practice not to cut above shoulder height and if working off a ladder the ladder must be tied to the tree and you need to be tied to the tree as well.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

It's industry best practice not to cut above shoulder height and if working off a ladder the ladder must be tied to the tree and you need to be tied to the tree as well.

So, if I fell a tree, and there are limbs above my shoulders, am I not supposed to cut them?

So, if I fell a tree, and there are limbs above my shoulders, am I not supposed to cut them?

Just to clarify, when dealing with a standing tree with low hanging branches that you are preparing to fell. You are not supposed to cut limbs that are above shoulder height.

When dealing with felled trees, not hung up on anything, I would rather hold a saw above my head and limb in the air, as opposed to dulling my chain in the dirt.
Just sayin'.

I don’t think it is dangerous to run a saw above shoulder height, but if you cut things above your head they can then fall on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's dangerous for two reasons, one is **** can fall on you and two if you get a kickback you run the risk of a running chain getting you in the neck.

When dealing with felled trees, not hung up on anything, I would rather hold a saw above my head and limb in the air, as opposed to dulling my chain in the dirt.
Just sayin'.

Limbing felled trees with large limbs that emerge from the main stem and loop over your head for example. Go to where the limb is level with your waist, use a step cut or sink and back cut thereby getting what was above your head safety on the ground where it can be processed further. I treat large limbs like small trees. The other option is a polesaw. Nothing says amateur to me more than some clown swinging a saw around above his head!

Limbing felled trees with large limbs that emerge from the main stem and loop over your head for example. Go to where the limb is level with your waist, use a step cut or sink and back cut thereby getting what was above your head safety on the ground where it can be processed further. I treat large limbs like small trees. The other option is a polesaw. Nothing says amateur to me more than some clown swinging a saw around above his head!

I think the problem here is each person's idea, or definition of "limbs". A tree limb to me is less than 2" diameter. Anything bigger than that gets saved for firewood. Any branches over approx. 2" in diameter get severed from the tree around waist height, as you mentioned, before cutting smaller limbs or sticks off.

There's no way I'd cut anything bigger that that while it's hanging above my head... Common sense and basic physics laws come into play here.

Clowns are creepy... Especially if they're swinging chainsaws above their head. In fact, I'd probably run away screaming in terror if I saw something like that.

Latest posts

Back