Limbing saws 260 Pro or 346XP oe somthing else?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc59222

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey, I am looking to get a new saw specifically for limbing and dicing around the chipper. Currently I run a MS200T in the tree and a MS440 on the ground and want somthing in between. The 440 is great for bucking and felling, but it seems like a smaller saw would be better limbing. I am thinking of either a MS260 Pro or a 346XP. Any ideas, comments, thoughts, or comparisons on these saws, or any others that may fit the task? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Both are great saws, no doubt, but why not try something 'different', something that not everybody has yet? Try the Dolmar 5100S - lots of good press on it, and great (if not the best) power to weight ratio in its class! have heard the 346 has a narrow powerband, and responds well to some port work.

Check out the 5100S teardown thread on this site, good info and links!

Is the 5100S as good as the 260pro or the 346XP? Ask some guys who have run them all...Freakingstang seems to have tried quite a few saws, and he said he would buy another 5100S any day! From an engineering standpoint, I think it is the best of the 3, but having not run all 3 for a comparison, I can't say...prety much just personal preference based on what I have read.

I agree, both are great saws. I have the 346xp and love it. I run it with a 12" bar and use it as my small saw. If it were damaged beyond repair or stolen tomorrow, I would half to seriously consider the 5100S. I keep talking myself out of buying one now. I do not need two saw that I virtually the same size. According to the specs, the 346 is a little lighter and the 5100 has a little more power.

Jim

Go for the dolmar 5100s!!!! Why??? its a dolmar!! Husky and stihl better watch out if dolmar gets their head out of their arse and gets a good distributor! IMO thats all that is holding dolmar back is distribution! Its hard to find them! I know of 2 places that will sell them to you mail order but don't know their prices. 1.) Bailey's (sponser of this site) 2.) dneiger(member of this site) Way back I made a mock up poll to see who made best saw besides stihl and husky....hands down dolmar...some even said dolmar was better that the big 2, but thats stickly opinion I would think. Another reason to buy dolmar....they look so damn good! Also there german made like stihl!
get with freakingstang, computeruser,and twinturnbovolvos about dolmar..they have some good threads/posts on them.

Last edited:
I found several Dolmar dealers in my area fairly readily through Dolmar's dealer search utility on their website.

I ended up at a dealer that also sold Echo and Stihl along with the Dolmars. The dealer was very friendly and helpful and didn't push any brand over the other (but he did say they were dropping the Echo line in the future). I'm paraphrasing but I recall him saying that the 5100S had a surprising amount of power for its size. And as far as the midwest goes, he's had nothing but positive things to say about the supply chain (pun intended) since the distribution channel that he gets his Dolmars shipped from is the same place he gets all of his Oregon branded stock as well as other mainstream supplies.

I had a hard time resisting this one! I have to power ported 346s that I run 20" bars on. Let me tell you they work great!! I also have two power ported 246s
with 18" bars. These saws are all that I need for limbing. The 20" bars cut down on the reach and the 18s work better when the going gets tight! My next project will be a thinning saw based on the 353. Take your time and choose what's best for you!

I have found no problem finding a Dolmar dealer through the website, however the dealer in my area knows very little about Dolmar. He was up front and told me that they have one commercial customer that wanted them to carry Dolmar, so the did. They only carry one saw a 540 I think. They did tell me that they get there Dolmar supplied from Kansas City. I really want to try a Dolmar and have considered having them order a 7900. I wonder how much I could beat them down on price since the would not have much invested in the sale.

enjoys cutting said:
if your interested, the 2152 is fast on the trigger and plenty of power and zip for limbing.also the weight is low with a16" bar.

A jonsered 2152??? Thats the same saw as the husky 353 I thought! Its good and all but not a supersaw like the ones forementioned! But will agree with..if you don't wanna spend $400+ on a supersaw thats a damn good one!

Also What i meant about dolmar distributing is that they are few and far between!

I found a dolmar dealer and went to look at the 5100S today. They wanted $410 for the powerhead with an 18'' bar and chain. Is that a decent price? It sure beats $470-490 for an MS260 Pro or 346XP, but does it seem good for the machine?

Back