Little Rigging and Cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWME

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
262776d1353206528-img_7048-jpg
The Ported 260 saw most of the action today
View attachment 262776View attachment 262777View attachment 262778View attachment 262779View attachment 262780
262777d1353206534-img_6980-jpg
My Sister and Niece helping
262778d1353206540-img_6981-jpg
Tapered the hinge a bit to help fight some lean
262779d1353206546-img_6982-jpg
Far side of this hinge was a bit low. Looks like the saw was not level, oh well, it worked out in the end
262780d1353206554-img_6983-jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 262813View attachment 262814View attachment 262785View attachment 262785
262813d1353208352-img_7045-jpg
My Nephew and Daughter coming out to see me during a break
262814d1353208358-img_7040-jpg

262785d1353206790-img_6986-jpg

460 did some cutting of the big logs, 036 suffered a broken handle cover(the black part that holds the linkage together). Not sure hot it broke but that is on the list of things to fix. The 260 stepped up to the plate and did most of the work today. All the felling cuts were made with the 260 and 16" bar.

Last edited:
View attachment 262791View attachment 262792View attachment 262793View attachment 262794View attachment 262795
262791d1353206858-img_6997-jpg
making the cuts on the smaller tree first, the bigger one was next, they both came down together.
262792d1353206864-img_6990-jpg
Fencing

262793d1353206870-img_6991-jpg
This was the last tree of the day. You can see the main trunk has a nasty lean. Just off to the left of the shot here are trailers and campers.
262795d1353206882-img_6993-jpg
262794d1353206876-img_6992-jpg
Tree rigging and the rope puller. One of the best firewood tools I have purchased. I would not have been able to get this wood without the rope puller, period.

Last edited:
Is it just the pics, or are your back cuts below your face cuts? Nice wood.

I'm envious. You got to cut today and I had to run errands and go to Sams for groceries. :(

Lookin' great. You got the best help ever and the weather is nice. :)

Is it just the pics, or are your back cuts below your face cuts? Nice wood.

The one that I made notation about had the far side below the face cut. I didn't have the saw level. Other than that they are pretty flat. You can see that by the first photo with the saw sitting there, no lip on the stump.

Clearing this part of my Sister's lot for a new septic to go in. All but three of the trees I have cut here have needed to be rigged. The guy next door has campers and trailers parked all along the property line and the house and shed on the other side. No chance taking with this job, I put ropes into the canopy and then pulled them with the rope puller. The last big one had a nasty side lean towards the campers. Put some taper on the hinge and a lot of pre-tensioning on the rope and it came down right where it needed to go.

Had some special helpers today, My Sister and Niece were pulling brush and lumping logs to the truck for me. Made the day go a lot faster with the extra hands. My Daughter and Newphew were inside with my Mom baking cup cakes and cookies so they were happy. They came out to watch each tree come down and yelled "Timber" every time:hmm3grin2orange: The funny part was they would wait for me to shut the saw down and take the ear muffs off:laugh:

Anyway, sore but feel good getting three truck loads home so far. Looks like I might get about 3 cords total out of this cut.

Great bunch of pics and descriptions there, CWME. Looks like you'll be in firewood for a while. It's starting to get nippy up in your neck of the woods. ;o)

Advantages of Rope Puller?

Clearing this part of my Sister's lot for a new septic to go in. All but three of the trees I have cut here have needed to be rigged. The guy next door has campers and trailers parked all along the property line and the house and shed on the other side. No chance taking with this job, I put ropes into the canopy and then pulled them with the rope puller. The last big one had a nasty side lean towards the campers. Put some taper on the hinge and a lot of pre-tensioning on the rope and it came down right where it needed to go.

Had some special helpers today, My Sister and Niece were pulling brush and lumping logs to the truck for me. Made the day go a lot faster with the extra hands. My Daughter and Newphew were inside with my Mom baking cup cakes and cookies so they were happy. They came out to watch each tree come down and yelled "Timber" every time:hmm3grin2orange: The funny part was they would wait for me to shut the saw down and take the ear muffs off:laugh:

Anyway, sore but feel good getting three truck loads home so far. Looks like I might get about 3 cords total out of this cut.

Not trying to be a wise guy...and I 'm real new to all of this. But, share with me the advantage of that "rope puller".

I thought if you just angled your cuts and started opposite of the intended fall area u were good.:confused2:

Thanks
ReggieT

Insurance, more than anything. Leaners, wind, heavy tops. I've got a dead cherry out back, a bad leaner about half way down the creek bank. There's no way you're gonna cut that tree and make it fall in the "intended fall area". It'll have a hefty rope and my truck tied to it when it gets dropped.

Not trying to be a wise guy...and I 'm real new to all of this. But, share with me the advantage of that "rope puller".

I thought if you just angled your cuts and started opposite of the intended fall area u were good.:confused2:

Thanks
ReggieT

What Mac said, insurance and to direct otherwise dangerous trees. The picture of the last tree I cut has a description about what that would have hit had it not been roped. I use the ropes to pull trees against leans for the most part. When I am around a house I put the rope in just to make the wind doesn't grab the tree. Most of the trees I cut today had severe leans that would have required me to drop them in the direction of the lean. This would have had trees coming down on the campers and trailers next door.

Last edited:
Great bunch of pics and descriptions there, CWME. Looks like you'll be in firewood for a while. It's starting to get nippy up in your neck of the woods. ;o)

I had a good rewarding day for sure. This wood will be in the stove mid part of next season. I will move the oak I had to the next year so the beech doesn't get punky on me. So basically working on the tail end of the 2014-2015 wood supply.

There is a definate bite in the air now! Best time of year if you ask me. 22 out this morning, 74 inside:taped:

I thought if you just angled your cuts and started opposite of the intended fall area u were good.

Reggie,
Don't take this wrong, I'm mot trying to be a wise guy either.
It's probably a lesson you'll have to learn the hard way... hopefully no one gets hurt.
Think about a tree leaning hard to the north, but you need it to fall south... or a tree standing straight in a stiff west wind when you need it to fall north... or...
Seriously, I "pull" nearly every standing-dead I drop... just been too many oops happen.

Reggie,
It's probably a lesson you'll have to learn the hard way... hopefully no one gets hurt.
Think about a tree leaning hard to the north, but you need it to fall south... or a tree standing straight in a stiff west wind when you need it to fall north... or...
Seriously, I "pull" nearly every standing-dead I drop... just been too many oops happen.

Good advise, Spidey. :msp_thumbsup:

Man That's Just Wisdom!

Reggie,

Listen, I appreciate what you shared my friend. I'm not the least bit offended or ruffled by your comments.
The only way I've lasted on this earth is by the Grace of God and staying very teachable! lol

I"ll pass on those lessons only gleaned by the "School of hard knocks"...done had enough of them.:bang:

What I don't know...I shell out the DOUGH to those who do know! :wink2:
I'm pretty ok with not knowing everything.

I've got good friends who rope off just about all their stuff...just interested in hearing your take...GREAT WISDOM MY FRIEND!

Thanks Again

Reggie

Latest posts

Back