load schedule for owf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
applefarmer

applefarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Trying to figure this thing out. Do you guys load your furnace when the wood is burnt down or when your house starts losing heat? I was loading a wheel barrow in my owf every 10-12 hours, I would have little wood left but a large amount of coals. Like a good 8-10 inches of coals. This is with outdoor temps of 15-25. Recently I have been playing with it a little, and found my house will stay warm (70-72) for 18-20 hours even though the water temp in the owf is down to 100-110. It just takes a long time for it to reach 180 when I do load it.

Beagledoc

Beagledoc

ArboristSite Lurker
If we are going to be home we just stir the coals until they are burned to a fine powder. We then reload the stove. There is a great deal of heat left to be extracted in a bed of coals.

applefarmer

applefarmer

ArboristSite Operative
beerman-you have the same furnace I do. So you don't worry about the draft fan running so long? Mine will run for hours just blowing on coals keeping the water 120-130. Is this the way it is suppose to operate?

Laird

Laird

Nemo me impune lacessit
I usually load mine every 10-12 hours just because I'm usually not around to fill it between times. On weekends I'll usually let it burn down to mostly ash so I can empty the ash easier. What coals there I just rake to the back and then get a bucket or two of ash out then rake the coals back to the front. I usually burn my fast burning wood on the weekends as well cause a load of poplar or sassafras will usually not last and does not leave much in the way of coals.

Scootermsp

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Pallets

I do the same. I rake and rake to get the coals burned up. If I will be home I toss in a few pieces of pallet to keep the temp up and let the coals burn down. Don't let the ash underneath build up too much as it will insulate the floor and cut down your heat transfer area.

beerman6

beerman6

Addicted to ArboristSite
beerman-you have the same furnace I do. So you don't worry about the draft fan running so long? Mine will run for hours just blowing on coals keeping the water 120-130. Is this the way it is suppose to operate?

THis is my 4th season with it,no problems with the blower motors yet,one of the solenoids for the draft door stuck open,but no problems with the blowers.

oh yeah,when the door was stuck open,the water boiled.I forgot about that till just now.