Local selling wood by the "roll"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I call and he says a roll is INDUSTRY standard term for selling wood!!

what defines roll as - I pile 16 to 18 inch long wood in your truck bed from 1 side to another to the height of your box and I can get 4 rolls in a truck

this is what I have to look forward to as I may need some wood!!!!

Bassman,

:jawdrop:

It's bad enough some folks cannot simply grasp what is, and isn't a volumetric dimension, but when they just go and make crap up in an effort to hoodwink customers, it's time for a good old American can of Whupazz.

Head over to Wikipedia. Search for "Roll" as I did. You will find there is no referrence in relation to firewood, wood, or even standards of volume.

Here is your apple to be plucked.
Make your own entry and standard for a "Roll" that works out to a ridiculous amount.

Print a copy and hand it to the guy when his delivery isn't competitive in rate to a delivered cord.

Have him adjust, or "Roll" back whence he came.

Seriously, how do these people find the time to sit around making up new crap?

Good luck to ya!!
Dingeryote

Bassman,

:jawdrop:

It's bad enough some folks cannot simply grasp what is, and isn't a volumetric dimension, but when they just go and make crap up in an effort to hoodwink customers, it's time for a good old American can of Whupazz.

Head over to Wikipedia. Search for "Roll" as I did. You will find there is no referrence in relation to firewood, wood, or even standards of volume.

Here is your apple to be plucked.
Make your own entry and standard for a "Roll" that works out to a ridiculous amount.

Print a copy and hand it to the guy when his delivery isn't competitive in rate to a delivered cord.

Have him adjust, or "Roll" back whence he came.

Seriously, how do these people find the time to sit around making up new crap?

Good luck to ya!!
Dingeryote

I like dingeryote's suggestion. If the seller wants to play games, beat him at his OWN game.

I know someone who was trying to sell firewood by the face cord on Craig's List. He was contacted by a representative from PA Dept of Weights and Measures and was "advised" to change his description to a 1/3, 1/2 or full cord of wood... as a face cord is not a acceptable unit of measure in PA...

I wonder how they would react to "roll"...

Yep, around each and every corner there is a moron trying to rip a guy off.If nothing else, they just coin a new phrase for it.

He was contacted by a representative from PA Dept of Weights and Measures and was "advised" to change his description to a 1/3, 1/2 or full cord of wood... as a face cord is not a acceptable unit of measure in PA...

Yep, similar situation here in Michigan. If you use the word 'cord', you better be talking about 128 cubic feet. Not sure what their position on invented measures is. You can, AFAIK, sell a 'pickup load', so I imagine a 'rick, 'bag', or 'roll' of wood might be OK.

Sounds great to me (as long as I get to use the truck bed of my choice):

dumptruck.jpg

I know someone who was trying to sell firewood by the face cord on Craig's List. He was contacted by a representative from PA Dept of Weights and Measures and was "advised" to change his description to a 1/3, 1/2 or full cord of wood... as a face cord is not a acceptable unit of measure in PA...

I don't like to give them any ideas in Harrisburg. They'd just consider it a new product and tax it even more. :bang:

called him again today asking how much for a CORD and he said that a there are 5 rolls in a cord????

I then said I would give him $50 bucks for him to show me where in the world he came up with a roll ..... I meet with him friday.

Haha. I've sold wood in every way I can think of before. I've even sold it by the stick, but never by the roll.:laugh:
I would assume that he has the words row, and roll mixed up. A row isn't an established form of measurement either though. A cord of wood cut 16" long, stacked 4' high and 8' long will have 3 row's. But that same cord stacked 4' high and 12' long will only have 2 row's. This guy say's 5 row's makes a cord.:dizzy: Not a verry good measurement to buy wood by in my opinion.

Andy

called him again today asking how much for a CORD and he said that a there are 5 rolls in a cord????

I then said I would give him $50 bucks for him to show me where in the world he came up with a roll ..... I meet with him friday.

The potential for Epic Humor is STRONG in this meeting.

Bring a friend with a hidden Camera, and post it on AS TV!!!

Make sure to include a tape measure and a calculator for massive confusion inducing questions like volume. LOL!!

Our very own Stovehead version of "James the narcoleptic tree cutter".

Bassman.... you must do this in the name of humanity. It's your calling to expose the truth. Go forth and charge the Camera batterys, and prepare.

May the Jotul be with you!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I wish I heard more of these stories. I've seen face cords that were 1/3 of a cord and I've seen others I couldn't get in my pickup. It wouldn't hurt my feelings any if the term "face cord" were to completely disappear... it's a pretty F-ing stupid reference IMO.

The potential for Epic Humor is STRONG in this meeting...

...Bassman.... you must do this in the name of humanity. It's your calling to expose the truth. Go forth and charge the Camera batterys, and prepare.

May the Jotul be with you!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We need to get bml's new truck lifted and on beadlocked 38's before then. It'd be funny as #### watching that guy load "rolls" of wood in a truck bed 3 feet over his head.

We gotta have a AS wrench-a-thon, I'll bring wrenches, cigarettes, and beer. Were gonna need some BBQ, a welder, and parts. Step up to the plate and volunteer fellas.

:cheers:

EDIT: To any potential Canadian volunteers we need 38 inch tall tires. Don't show up with a 38 centimeter tall tire. His truck is gonna look awful funny going down the road if 3 of us bring 38" tires and the Canuck brings a 38 centimeter tire.

:laugh:

I'll bring the BBQ, welder, and video cam to catch the "rolls" loading event :biggrinbounce2:

Back