Log arches.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deeker

deeker

Tree Freak
Just bought two of them, a Jr. for handling the smaller logs. And the ATV arch for the larger ones.
We have hauled a 16' pine, that was tail end heavy and lifted the Yamaha 660 rear end in the air. But it did a great job, just load the heavy (butt end) toward the front when we can.

I wish I would have picked them up a few years ago.

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

B.Secord

B.Secord

ArboristSite Member
I have landed a job that needs the logs moved down the beach 100 yards. I have an extensive supply of used parts, and a large supply of scrap iron, so I decided to build an arch.

It will handle a 32 inch diameter log. The maximum weight I can pull with it hooked on the quad is around 4000 lbs. , but I can also tow it with the skid steer or the pickup.View attachment 76632

Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just bought two of them, a Jr. for handling the smaller logs. And the ATV arch for the larger ones.
We have hauled a 16' pine, that was tail end heavy and lifted the Yamaha 660 rear end in the air. But it did a great job, just load the heavy (butt end) toward the front when we can.

I wish I would have picked them up a few years ago.

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

They work quite good, you just have to be VERY carefull because the arch and log easily out weigh your ATV. That means it's very easy to loose control on hills ect. and get run over.

JP on the Norwood site (who also is a member here) has posted lots of picts of huge logs he's skidded with his Norwood arch.

If i didn't have as heavy of a tractor as i do, i think i would have bought one long time ago...

You mean you didn't take any picts.??? :)

Rob

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
B.Secord............Nice!

attachment.php

B.Secord

B.Secord

ArboristSite Member
Thanks Trigger, I have a set of dual wheels I can put on it that should allow more floatation on the sand. And YES, be careful of the weight, I would hate to see anyone getting run over OR rolled on for a log.:cry:

The winch that is on it is also shop modified. It was built to assist rigging trees, when we have to tip tie limbs and raise them. It is held on to the main stem with 2 2inch rachet straps. You could call it a poor man's GRCS, without the CSA stamp of approval. View attachment 76635

I am humbled by naming it the "BRENT", which is my name, but rest assured it stands for "Bastard Rigging Entire Non-savable Tree"! We piggy-back the cable to a port-a-wrap, and so far it has worked very well.

Caution must be used when using home built items as they MAY NOT meet regulations for the area in which you are working. As it is only my wife and me (and I am worth more dead than alive), we apply extra caution when trying these DIY tools.

Last edited:
Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the testimonials/pics. I've been wondering for a while how well these work after looking at them in my nice new Bailey's catalog. I too have lots of scrap steel and have been considering building a set of these, however maybe not as big as "BRENT" ;) Has anybody ever tried putting a second arch on the rear end of the log to get the whole works off the ground? I guess that would be largely unnecessary except for really really big logs anyway though. My quad can pull an outrageous amount of weight.

B.Secord

B.Secord

ArboristSite Member
Brmorgan, I have seen arches with a 2 wheel trailor for the other end of the log. I would guess the idea is to lift the small end first and put the axle with pole under that end, then move to the other end, lift it and off you go.

Don't forget that the secret is to keep the whole outfit under control, as the mass (load) will probably exceed the friction (braking ability) of the power unit. Especially if you are using a quad.

We have had a rash of major accidents and fatalities involving quads the last few years. Most involve altering the balance of the machine (ie 20 gallon mounted sprayers) or boo-boos loading the things into the back of a pickup.

EPA

ArboristSite Member
Hi All: Here are a few pics of a homemade log carrier and of the Norwood Arch in action. //

A big 34 inch x 16’ pine on homemade log carrier
DSCN0468.jpg

loading log on carrier:
DCP00153-1.jpg

A good load for the ATV:
readytohaul-2.jpg

Bringing in a 16”x 12’ hemlock on the Norwood Arch
DSCF0009-3.jpg

Snaking one out with the Norwood Arch:
DSCN0517.jpg

Here is a 24’ log coming in with the Arch on the back end //
movingbeamlogtomill.jpg

EPA—(JP)

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
EPA, it's amazing the kind of work those Polaris quads can do, eh? I have an '07 Sportsman 500 EFI and it's pulled loads of similar size as yours there with hardly any throttle. Mine has the engine braking package which really helps when going downhill with a load - with no load I have to give it throttle to keep going even on rather steep hills. On another note, I have an old travel trailer frame that has pivot mount hubs and electric braking capability. That would be handy for pulling big logs around. Don't know how well an ATV charging system would hold up to heavy use though.

nickblaze466

nickblaze466

ArboristSite Operative
EPA, it's amazing the kind of work those Polaris quads can do, eh? I have an '07 Sportsman 500 EFI and it's pulled loads of similar size as yours there with hardly any throttle. Mine has the engine braking package which really helps when going downhill with a load - with no load I have to give it throttle to keep going even on rather steep hills. On another note, I have an old travel trailer frame that has pivot mount hubs and electric braking capability. That would be handy for pulling big logs around. Don't know how well an ATV charging system would hold up to heavy use though.

hell yeah, polaris all the way. love the 700

boatman

boatman

ArboristSite Operative
I have a buck arch coming in January and I can't wait. I'll be putting shafts on it.

I have a couple of white oak logs on a hillside that my mule can't handle.

I might try a go devil next week.

Latest posts