Log boom grapple help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey all, I am going to build a log boom grapple to put on the tongue of my dump trailer. I have been searching and can't come up with a closeup of the swing bearing/setup.
I am thinking either a 4" od inside a 4"id with a bearing set flat on top, sides will be friction and grease. My other option is to use a front bearing cassette from a jeep axle. It's the same as Dodge fullsize trucks and many cars.
Any pics or thoughts on what to use? Any links to some close ups would be great.
thanks,
dave

I saw a YouTube video of one that used the hub and bearings from a rear axle from either a school
Bus or a dump truck. It was a full floating axle.

Im sure there are 100 different methods o accomplish the same task, but Here is the video I referenced in my above post.

Btw, I hear you can make a fast winch using a heavy duty axle. Put the cable on one wheel and have a brake on the opposite wheel. When the driveshaft is spinning Engaging the brake winds the cable on the drum.

Im sure there are 100 different methods o accomplish the same task, but Here is the video I referenced in my above post.

Btw, I hear you can make a fast winch using a heavy duty axle. Put the cable on one wheel and have a brake on the opposite wheel. When the driveshaft is spinning Engaging the brake winds the cable on the drum.
That's the way the stiff leg cranes worked on inland barge rigs a long time ago.

JT

Thanks guys, I've seen that video and I am doing a take on it.
I can see how handy this will be already just looking at the uses on youtube.

I think I have my design, and to be clear, there will be NO battery (unless I find a cheap elec. start gas motor). I am going to make a gas powered hydraulic unit that will sit on the tongue and power the dump as well.
Right now I plan on using a jeep rear axle, complete housing sort of, I have already cut one side of the housing off at the center section. I will then weld the spiders, put a 6" well casing over the actual axle shaft where the drum would go and weld it to that flange, then I will have some bearings on the inside of the 6" pipe that will ride on the axle tube. I'll take some pictures once I get started. I'm still gathering parts, I have most if not all the steel I'll need. I have the hyd. pump, the 6" pipe, the bearings, the tube for booms, a 4 x 14 x 2" cylinder for the lift, a sheet of 1/4" plate and a bunch of 2x2x1/4" angle, a 5 gal air tank for hydraulic reservoir and some 2x2x1/4" tube. Now I just need some ambition :)
Here is a partial list of what I need to get
1) 6.5 motor on sale at HF
2) cylinder for front boom
3) type "A" mount for the pump to fit the motor
4) some 1 1/8" pins for lift cyl.
5) valve pack (I think I have one picked out)
6) pins for all hinge points
7) hoses
I'm sure this list will grow as things progress

I like the idea of the winch made from an old axle! I may look into that.

I have a question for those more knowledgeable with hydraulics than myself, how do hydraulic motors mount and can they have side loads? I'm going to use a hyd. motor to turn the turret, I may gear it down with chain and sprockets. My thinking is to turn the yoke on the pumpkin and that will turn the turret. I'm not sure if the hyd. motors need to be mounted like a pump or not. I'm going to surf over to Surplus supply and see if I can find any info. Also, what size motor would I be looking for?
thanks,
dave

Thanks guys, I've seen that video and I am doing a take on it.
I can see how handy this will be already just looking at the uses on youtube.

I think I have my design, and to be clear, there will be NO battery (unless I find a cheap elec. start gas motor). I am going to make a gas powered hydraulic unit that will sit on the tongue and power the dump as well.
Right now I plan on using a jeep rear axle, complete housing sort of, I have already cut one side of the housing off at the center section. I will then weld the spiders, put a 6" well casing over the actual axle shaft where the drum would go and weld it to that flange, then I will have some bearings on the inside of the 6" pipe that will ride on the axle tube. I'll take some pictures once I get started. I'm still gathering parts, I have most if not all the steel I'll need. I have the hyd. pump, the 6" pipe, the bearings, the tube for booms, a 4 x 14 x 2" cylinder for the lift, a sheet of 1/4" plate and a bunch of 2x2x1/4" angle, a 5 gal air tank for hydraulic reservoir and some 2x2x1/4" tube. Now I just need some ambition :)
Here is a partial list of what I need to get
1) 6.5 motor on sale at HF
2) cylinder for front boom
3) type "A" mount for the pump to fit the motor
4) some 1 1/8" pins for lift cyl.
5) valve pack (I think I have one picked out)
6) pins for all hinge points
7) hoses
I'm sure this list will grow as things progress

I like the idea of the winch made from an old axle! I may look into that.

I have a question for those more knowledgeable with hydraulics than myself, how do hydraulic motors mount and can they have side loads? I'm going to use a hyd. motor to turn the turret, I may gear it down with chain and sprockets. My thinking is to turn the yoke on the pumpkin and that will turn the turret. I'm not sure if the hyd. motors need to be mounted like a pump or not. I'm going to surf over to Surplus supply and see if I can find any info. Also, what size motor would I be looking for?
thanks,
dave
Commercial zero turn mowers use the hydro motors as the axle. Ie: the wheel is mounted directly to the motor shaft. These machines can weigh 1k pounds or more and they take a beating on bumps since there isn't any suspension. Not to say that all motors can be side loaded but the ones used in the commercial lawn mower application certainly can.

While they are slower, electric winches have become rather inexpensive. You can get a 2k pound winch for $50. With a snatch block it'll lift twice that. It would be easier and less expensive to turn an alternator or two to run a winch than it would be to go hydraulic at least as far as the lifting goes. Used alternators can be had for $25-30 on Craigslist. Long term a hydraulic setup is likely more fuel efficient than an electric winch. Alternators are a rather inefficient way to make electricity.

As cheap as they are, you could even use a winch motor to turn the turret, or the driveshaft yoke.

I'm getting ready build a firewood processor and plan to use winch motors to turn the feed deck.

Last edited:
I am going to mount a winch to the first boom arm with a pulley near the end of it. I picked up a 3K atv winch a TSC black friday for 60 bucks.
I hear what you are saying but I just want to build it with hydraulics.
It's not a necessity, just something I want to do. I built the dump trailer and I have quite a bit of what I need already on hand.
I just need projects to keep me from becoming a couch potato!
I wish I could find a junk mower like that. Nothing to be had around here.
thanks,
dave

I'm getting ready build a firewood processor and plan to use winch motors to turn the feed deck.

Just keep in mind winch motors have a terrible duty cycle. You'd be much better off using a DC treadmill motor and finding a speed control for it.

I got some pieces sheared and punched today at a friends shop. It's pretty awesome to shear 6" x 3/8" flat stock off like it was made of butter! I did this on his ironworker. I punched some 1 1/8" holes too.
Both of his horizontal bandsaw's had broken blades so we couldn't cut my 6" well casing, he is going to cut it to length tomorrow when the new blades arrive.
He told me today I have full use of the shop whenever I need it. He has a plasma table that can handle 5' x 10' x 1.5" stock WOW! There is also an antique 10' press brake, a mill and a do all lathe.
I bought him lunch today and I'm sure there will be many more.
I almost forgot, I also did some welding on the housing, welded the tube and put a 3/8" square plate on the end I cut off sort of like a foot.
dave

This is how all the pulp wood trucks were set up when I was a kid. Axle mounted at top or bottom of rack, drive chain from transmission pto and a short straight swivel boom arm with a pulley on each end. Most all trucks were single axle two tons that had a front and a back rack (wood stacked sideways across truck). Front or rear mounted axle/winch had manually extendable booms if IRC. Mid mount axle/winch had a fixed boom to fill either rack. All were swiveled manually. I couldn't find a picture of the set up but here is a little more modern version on a one ton:
eddy06.jpg
Ron

I got some pieces sheared and punched today at a friends shop. It's pretty awesome to shear 6" x 3/8" flat stock off like it was made of butter! I did this on his ironworker. I punched some 1 1/8" holes too.
Both of his horizontal bandsaw's had broken blades so we couldn't cut my 6" well casing, he is going to cut it to length tomorrow when the new blades arrive.
He told me today I have full use of the shop whenever I need it. He has a plasma table that can handle 5' x 10' x 1.5" stock WOW! There is also an antique 10' press brake, a mill and a do all lathe.
I bought him lunch today and I'm sure there will be many more.
I almost forgot, I also did some welding on the housing, welded the tube and put a 3/8" square plate on the end I cut off sort of like a foot.
dave

That's one serious unit! I run one that cuts up to .750.

It's nice to have an "in" in a shop like that! :clap: Be sure to grab a broom once and a while. :rock:

I believe in returning favors. I helped him dissemble the crowd arm cylinder on his little excavator yesterday while I was there. Today I went to check on my casing but UPS hadn't dropped off the new bandsaw blades yet. I told him no biggie. He is going to be building a brake room and a new bathroom and I gave him a big slop sink I have been holding onto for just such an occasion. Now I'm just thinking of things I "need" to cut/bend when I'm down there :)

Back