Log Bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEK VT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone Have Any Log Bridge Plans\ Ideas... I Gotta Build 10-12 Foot ATV Bridge.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I was wondering about these as well... I have built several for our local snowmobile club, but they have been just flat laying logs, tied together with wire rope and turnbuckles that can be tightened as time goes by.

I have often thought of creating a flat truss for each of the outside members and then applying the cable to the logs running lengthwise between the two exterior trusses.

Hard to explain here, but yes, I would also like to see some of the structures that the guys on here have built... I'm sure the loggers here have built some before.

The ones we build look kind of like these:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD7005.html

But I'd like to build something stronger.

Last edited:
yeah

I am goint to use Ceder logs since I have a bunch of them from blowdowns I cleaned up. Ceded is perfect for things like this because of how well it holds up in wet conditions. I plan to keep it very simple but strong since some of the ATV's crossing this a full sized 4X4's. I will Post pics when I finally do build it. I know people on here must have some good ideas though

Depends on how deep of a river you are trying to cross

We have built alot at the cottage, for shallower streams we throw a bunch of logs in the water, perpindicular to the direction the water is flowing, with branches left on so they dont float away as easy, then we put a second layer of logs parallel to the river on top so it works on the same idea as corduroy

for deeper rivers/gulleys we cut long logs to span from bank to bank and then a 2nd layer of logs on top

I am goint to use Ceder logs since I have a bunch of them from blowdowns I cleaned up. Ceded is perfect for things like this because of how well it holds up in wet conditions. I plan to keep it very simple but strong since some of the ATV's crossing this a full sized 4X4's. I will Post pics when I finally do build it. I know people on here must have some good ideas though

We cross ours with Pisten Bully 200's, which weigh about 16000lbs in the trim level that we use them, so that's why I'm looking for a little more reinforcement!

flow

This river isent very deep... but has steep manks and runs pretty fast... the corodory idea.. I use in mud and low flow areas... but this is a nice liitle stream that fish must navigate and I don't want to fill in with logs....

Here ya' go! :)

attachment.php

Seriously, I just put logs in the creeks on my place. One of the 'logs' near the bottom is a piece of 14 inch PVC so the water can run though. I then spread dirt over the top. I can drive my Kubota over them.

another reason

this is another reason when explaining to the wife as to why you got to have a mill for your chain saw ,oh yea a bigger saw to run the mill.

the diaghram from the other post works very well as we use this same idea for snowmobile bridges.

The "Northern Logger", magazine had some plans for skidable bridge. Think it was made out of hemlock. I think it was an early ninety's arcticle. I forget the publisher of the mag, cause coincidently I just tossed all the ones I had, but it would be worth looking them up. If I'm not mistaken the Northern Logger is published out of Old Forge New York, an incredible little town with the neatest hardware store I've ever seen.
John

Last edited:
Limitations of Red Cedar

I think you need to keep in mind that even though the red part of a cedar log is extremely weather resistant. The white part will rot away.

Back