Log cabin replacement log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA452

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place to post this or not.

My family has a log cabin that my great grandfather bought in the 60s. Last year I noticed one of the bottom logs is rotten, bad. I can take my pocket knife and in places stick it in several inches easy. There's roof overhang on that side but no gutter, which we'll have to rectify. But even if I add a gutter this year, it's too late for that log.

My brother knows a good carpenter who said he could help us replace it. But we were going to get the log ready. We had heard that larch is a good choice, that it's got good decay resistance but then I've read some places that white pine is as good or better. We have both on the property. Anyone here know anything about this?

Another question, when is the best time to prep the log? I've read that you should drop the tree in the fall, and then you have to use a draw knife to clean off the sap wood and let it dry the better part of a year. But then I've also read to drop it in the spring, and then you can use a spud peeling bar to take off the outside and it's supposedly much easier this way. Then I've also read you should drop the tree in the winter. So basically lots of conflicting opinions.

I do not see any difference in what you are asking. It almost makes no difference as to what wood you replace with what. The log got rotten because it had no maintenance. Most woods will last for many years except White Fir. I have used a great deal of California Cedar. A large problem is raising your structure to allow the log to fit into place well. Most people just dig out the old and then hammer in the new log which ends up a bit mashed. A big deal is to oil the log once in place and to protect it from the elements. It is not easy to fit a log very well to fit in a particular space. The ends can be mocked up to make it look good. Thanks

do you know what kind of logs were used originally? I'd try to match those...might not be a perfect visual match, but at least same kind of tree.

Absent that, I'd either try for white oak or longleaf pine. I think I'd choose larch over other pines. Not all pine is created equal... White pine, for example, is not rot resistant. The tighter the rings, the more rot resistance you get with pine.

Other options that might not be as easy to come across, depending on where you are;
*Catalpa
*Black locust
*American chestnut (will have to find an old barn and it will cost you if the seller knows what they have...)

Why not use White Oak? I had logs from a cabin the 1860s that was torn down and the logs sat outside uncovered for a coupe years. I was able salvage a few to make mantles and after cleaning the outer inch of rot, they were pretty solid.

No idea what most of the logs are for sure. Maybe 20 years or so ago they had some replaced, and I believe they used white pine. I can't tell which are the logs that were replaced. Maybe they're all white pine, don't know.

I would recommend larch. I've used it in ground contact for many years. It has excellent rot resistance. Most Dutch saw Mills here in Western PA always have logs on hand. It's a tree that is easily defined by it's needle growth and we have alot in our area of the state. If your in NW Virginia I'm sure you also have this species.

QUOTE="TLG, post: 7219404, member: 45571"]
I would recommend larch. I've used it in ground contact for many years. It has excellent rot resistance. Most Dutch saw Mills here in Western PA always have logs on hand. It's a tree that is easily defined by it's needle growth and we have alot in our area of the state. If your in NW Virginia I'm sure you also have this species.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. This is in Western PA also. We have several larch growing on the property. I wonder if they were planted long ago for this purpose, as they are somewhat in a row.

Latest posts

Back