Log home Accessories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natural edge plank staircase

View attachment 36186 I supplied all parts(16" x 4" stringers with wild natural edge,3" thick natural edge treads). A friend installed it all to 10" x 4" half log siding. It is all hand scribed and fits like a glove. This picture does not do it justice!

nice but you went through posting all them pictures without showing us the wood stove thats going to heat that place ;-) or maybe the nice wood pile.

just joking with you nice place ;-)

thanks
Jason

Thanks Mark, very inspirational. Is most of the wood you use local? Noticed you mention pine, what species?
Working with the curves and twists is challanging, huh. Have you come up with many jigs to speed production, or scribe as well as possible and freehand with a chainsaw? I like to make sure I have plenty of material to allow for unacceptable fits. (read that how you choose- some notches give me fits!)
Do you mass produce the stiles? Notice you do the square tenons on them, I like that better than the radiused ones the power tenon cutters give.
Russell

RoosterBoy said:
nice but you went through posting all them pictures without showing us the wood stove thats going to heat that place ;-) or maybe the nice wood pile.

just joking with you nice place ;-)

thanks
Jason

Usually end up with a large pile after construction, haha. I'll post some mantle pics, you'll see some fireplaces.

poleframer said:
Thanks Mark, very inspirational. Is most of the wood you use local? Noticed you mention pine, what species?
Working with the curves and twists is challanging, huh. Have you come up with many jigs to speed production, or scribe as well as possible and freehand with a chainsaw? I like to make sure I have plenty of material to allow for unacceptable fits. (read that how you choose- some notches give me fits!)
Do you mass produce the stiles? Notice you do the square tenons on them, I like that better than the radiused ones the power tenon cutters give.
Russell
Most of the wood is local, Red or White pine mostly used for staircases,all my rails are out of White Cedar. Not many jigs (rarley same job twice) as it is custom fit cause not much on a log home is square. When I build staircases,I ruff cut tread reliefs one at a time after stringers are set,then scribe and cut with chainsaw or grind to fit.(experience makes this easier-still difficult)
As for the railings,the spindles are made all day long here, we never have enough. A machinist friend of mine made the tennon cutter head for me, sorry, they are round but with much less angle than you are used to seeing. I use pneumatics to clamp and feed the blanks and power the cutter with a 5 hp industrial electric motor. Posts,upper and lower rails are made to order.
I enjoy the challenge and don't know anybody else around me that does what I do.

Back