log jam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capecodtree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got about 50 cord of log length hardwood stock piled. The problem is they are two big for my firewood processor 2.5' feet to 4'+. I want to split them lengthwise then process. Any ideas ? tips, tricks? Thanks, Jim

I've got about 50 cord of log length hardwood stock piled. The problem is they are two big for my firewood processor 2.5' feet to 4'+. I want to split them lengthwise then process. Any ideas ? tips, tricks? Thanks, Jim

Get yourself a bunch of wedges the standard wedge kind nothing fancy. Take two or three and start them on the end and get a split started. Then follow the split down the side by driving in more wedges until split apart lengthwise. I hope you have clear straight grain and an easy to split species. Try googling split rail fence making old school method and see what comes up.

Buck em to firewood length. Then noodle em up.

:agree2::agree2:

I have run into the same problem. On an average 12-15 cord load of logs I usually end up setting aside a few logs that are too big for my processor. When the pile gets too big I hire someone with a big saw to block and noodle. I then feed them into the processor splitter. Not sure what kind of processor you have I know with mine it is tough to process log length splits because they don't roll on the live deck.

Don't think there are too many processors around that can handle a 48" log.

How about this its what I built for this problem.

This is what I built for this problem.
paradesplitter001.jpg

No video but I can make quick work of a large pile of logs I quarter the whole logs then run the quarters thru my processor I will try for video sometime

has anybody tried a jack hammer attachment on a skid steer or hoe to split rounds?

What, no log lift? :)

Holy tweet, Batman (Woodman)! That should get the job done! JD colors, too - sweet!

Shari

No need for log lift it is powered off the hydraulics of my log truck so I set the logs on it with the log truck, I run the whole operation from the seat up on the turret of my log truck.

Its funny to see the suggestions to cut and split them by hand from guys who have no idea how overwhelming a 50 cord pile of large-diameter logs can be. Any solution is gonna involve lots of manpower, lots of $$$ for a big machine, or both. Good Luck. Maybe you could just sell them, as is & where is, to some 'tard wanna-be firewood dealer. (Pass the buck, so to speak.)

I'm coming up with 3 ideas.

1. Sell the log lengths to anybody who will buy them.

2. Run the 50 cords through a TW5 / 6... not the most efficient, compared to a processor, but it will work.

3. I know there's a company in new england SOMEWHERE that has one of those TW-10's or similar and subs it out. I remember seeing it in the ISA newsletter a while back. Not sure what it would cost, but it would definately get the big logs down to processor size.

Latest posts

Back