Log Jaw- anybody tried 'em yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Reaction score
So I'm yakking with my buddy about attacking a corner of a woodlot next weekend, and he mentions that Dewey, the local Barber, and one of his pals have come up with a gizmo for carrying logs, and are going big time with it and having it produced for retail sales.

So we go and check the gizmo out. essentially it's a cast handle with a lever grapple that snatches the end of a round for lifting, or can be used on each end of a log for picking up and carrying.

Hmmmm...

I tried it on a 20" Maple round and can see where it would be handy at the splitter, and for the csm guys for stacking logs and Cants. I don't carry logs myself, that's what chains and the tractor are for, so I'm curious about the folks who don't take a tractor out with the saws.

Anybody tried one yet?

Here's thier website if ya havn't seen the gadget.
http://www.logjaw.com/Home.html

I might snag a couple just for the splitter, but I just don't see myself and a partner carrying logs around.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Look like it would work well if you handle those size logs!

Looks like a good idea, Kinda pricey though. You would have to have two of them. !40 bucks for two. Figure you guys that can weld could make a couple a lot cheaper.

The LogJawTM tool has a LIFETIME WARRANTY and when purchased through us has a 30 day MONEY BACK GUARANTEE if you are not satisfied with the tool. Try it!

$69.95 each

I would by a set if they were $40 for a pair, but the web site claims $69.95 EA :dizzy:

The LogJawTM tool has a LIFETIME WARRANTY and when purchased through us has a 30 day MONEY BACK GUARANTEE if you are not satisfied with the tool. Try it!

$69.95 each

I would by a set if they were $40 for a pair, but the web site claims $69.95 EA :dizzy:
LOL, I left out the one, Supposed to 140. I'm like you, 40 dollars a pair would be ok. The lifetime warrenty is only as good as the company is in business.

Yeah, the price is a little nuts.

I dunno if they are still stting up the site and it's an error or not.

Next time I get to town I'll ask. Maybe even get 'em over here.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

cool gadget !
But I dont see a big need for them .If I need to move a log to a better spot for cutting I use my ATV and a strap!
MD

Not something I would be inerested in.

I would need a pair for lifting big rounds. For 140 bucks, I will just continue doing it by hand.

I try not to handle logs, unless it is a hurry and get it loaded before dark situation. Even then, they wouldn't be that handy for me, IMO.

Looks well built, probably got quite a bit invested in the tooling to make it, hence the price. Here's a pic off their site:

bg_kcwo.jpg

I just ain't convinced that it'd have any advantage over a pair of log hooks for lifting rounds onto the splitter. That's the only use I could think of for them here. I could maybe see an application with timber frame builders for better/easier carrying of big beams. If I were marketing those things, I'd be trying to use them for everything. Imagine the late night infomercials: IT CARRIES LOGS, IT WASHES YOUR CLOTHES, IT FIXES YOUR TRUCK!

Just kidding a little, but the wider the market the better chance for success.

Edit, had to look, but

YES!

made_in_use_solid_28ru.gif

Last edited:
Steve that infomercial line, I thought that was what that wedding ring was for, but I was informed ( on multiple occasions) that the definition I was familiar with, has passed into oblivion.

Looks like a waste of time to me. Loading a log on the splitter would mean finding both of those things, getting them to grab onto the log, and then lifting. BUT you would have to be careful when setting the log down on the splitter rail. The handles would be hitting the wedge on one end and the ram on the other. Good way to pinch or break a finger.
And another point... If you can't lift a log without one of these you probably shouldn't be lifting the load due to the weight. Hurt your back and your out of the firewood game for a while... I know for me this year ANY downtime means I don't have heat next winter.

Sorry but to me this is just another gadget that has no practical use. Add $140 for a pair to the mix and it lost even more "apeal".

Those look pretty dang handy in the right situation.

USA made = union labor = higher pricing. You can't b###h about Chinese/Taiwan/Turkish imports AND high prices for goods. You can't have it both ways unless you expect American foundry workers to accept .50/hr and live 50 to a room in open barracks.

Ian

Last edited:
I have a pair

They are handy to put in your truck when placing small logs in the truck bed and lifting them quickly or even for firewood one person can lift easily. The handle is comfortable. They seem more balanced than when lifting with a hand log tong. I used one to drag several 8 foot 14 inch diameter walnut logs i bucked to my woodmizer lift rather than having to fire up the tractor or front loader to to position in front of the lift arms. The logjaw is handy when cutting wood at friends houses when they do not have tractors to move the wood near the sawmill. They are pricey, but seem well made and thought out for comfort while lifting. (my hand log tongs have a thin handle and bite into my fingers with the weight on them). I am happy and satisfied with their functioning! Quite useful for the situation when you don't need to start up heavy equipment.-Rob

Back