Log lift idea - at boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been considering some kind of log lift to help get large pieces of wood from the ground up into the boiler. After searching the forum I can’t seem to find anything like what I’m proposing.
The idea is to mount a stout vertical pipe steel with a frost protected footing, a couple of feet away from the boiler door. It will be able to swivel at the top and have a swingarm with a hoist and hook system. That way a large piece of wood can be rolled over, picked up off the ground, swung around to the boiler, and hold the wood in place and into the boiler door. I’d mount a crash plate of some kind on the boiler to protect against the swingarm hitting the boiler wall.

205235d1320165201-log-lift-jpg

Thoughts?

Hello,
Why don't you just mount a log lift that is like the ones on wood splitters. I don't know what the front of your boiler is made of under the door, but maybe that can be beefed up. Then just mount it under the door ( with the lifting end straight out ) and when it goes up the wood would be level with the bottom of the door opening !!!! Sounds easier and more effecient than the other idea !!! Just my 2 cents. Good luck !!!

Henry and Wanda

Nice!

This looks like a great tool and much more versatile than my idea. The only major problem I see is that the Hall loader requires relatively straight and uniform sized logs, which is not always possible.

I like using two ramps with rollers, like the ones they use to unload grocery trucks.
one is at or above boiler door. the other telescopes into boiler when door is opened.
Roll log in......pull roller back out of boiler = done.

I have been considering some kind of log lift to help get large pieces of wood from the ground up into the boiler. After searching the forum I can’t seem to find anything like what I’m proposing.
The idea is to mount a stout vertical pipe steel with a frost protected footing, a couple of feet away from the boiler door. It will be able to swivel at the top and have a swingarm with a hoist and hook system. That way a large piece of wood can be rolled over, picked up off the ground, swung around to the boiler, and hold the wood in place and into the boiler door. I’d mount a crash plate of some kind on the boiler to protect against the swingarm hitting the boiler wall.

205235d1320165201-log-lift-jpg

Thoughts?

there was one on here all most exactly like your sketch a year or two ago......try searching in this forum.

Not to discourage you but your design looks like it would be very difficult to actually get the piece of wood in the unit.
The one on the link posted is pretty slick and you could probably duplicate it fairly easily. Instead of two long straight angleirons you could add raised ends to accommodate unusual shaped logs.

engine hoist?

Your design looks like an engine hoist with tongs.

Get a used one off of craigslist and make sure the wheels for the hoist have concrete to roll on, or something equally flat and smooth and strong. Pick up chunk, roll it in, drop it, unhook tong, roll it back out the door.

Not to discourage you but your design looks like it would be very difficult to actually get the piece of wood in the unit.
The one on the link posted is pretty slick and you could probably duplicate it fairly easily. Instead of two long straight angleirons you could add raised ends to accommodate unusual shaped logs.

Not only getting the wood in but how to unhook it while keeping skin and hair intact?

Latest posts

Back