Log loading methods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw on the discovery channel one time a log truck that had some sort of crude side lift on it now I need something like it. I don't have any heavy equipment at all and I need to figure some way to load up my rig with pulp wood. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how this could be done?

Look up a pulp hook for loading/moving 4' softwood. For our small scale, man-powered logging ( and firewood ) the pulp hook is an indespensible tool--an extension of the arm. Just watch where you "throw" the business end to just barely stick into the log end for humping--new users get the end "stuck" where you don't want it. :buttkick: It'll go right through PPE chaps. Like any tool, you start to use it everywhere in the woodlot and too often unconsciously leave it on the ground, snow or in a stump to trip over.
Neat tool used here in Maine at least.

I saw one on dirty jobs.The episode was horse logging. It had 2 arms with a cradle that pivoted down beside the standards. I think it was cable operated. Not enough on tv to figure out a whole lot.I would like to find more on it too.

Last edited:
It sure seemed like a cable operated system but how did it work:confused: , we need to get more in depth information on that truck!

What you are talking about is called a sideloader. I used to have one but cant find pics of it.
At one time they were pretty common in some areas. The PTO powered a shaft with drum and cable that ran the length of the loader. A gear driven brake drum is on the end of the shaft. A master cylinder poweres and releases the shaft. Pull the lever on the master cyl. the brake engages turning the shaft and drums/cable which lifts the hinged loading arms and throws the log into the bunks. They have to be set up right and timed to work good. They are still being used in rural areas for short logs.

In this part of the country they are $600 to $1000 for one in good shape.

Back