log splitter plumbing questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am about to add a hydraulic cooler to my log splitter my question is do I use all hose or can I use black pipe and or galvanized? This is all on the return side. Second question add the cooler before or after the return filter?
Thanks

I would mount it before the filter & use hose to keep the vibration down. We like pictures !

If you want hardlines use hydraulic tubing, not pipe and especially not galvanized. Pipe has a bad habbit of cracking at the treads due to they way their made(cut) combined with crappy metal in high vibration environments. Hydraulic fitting are forged from much higher quality metal.

Have you bought a cooler yet?

A cooler is nothing more than metal tubing with a few fins attached. Buy a 6' section of hydraulic tubing of appropriate size. Have the shop that you buy it from put on ferrules, nuts, and 37 degree flare the ends and using a tubing bender bend in half. Paint it black for better emmissivity and mount it out of harms way. It's a cheap cooler.

Do you even need a cooler? What's the temps on the oil after an hour of use? You would hate to spend the money and time fabbing up a cooler only to find that it brings down the temp of the oil to where the machine is sluggish. Grainger has a few they sell with a fan attached. I know it's a bit pricey but check out their pictures and maybe it will help you in designing one.

AKG DCS 10-12.jpg Why adding the cooler?
I have an older Harbor Freight 30 ton splitter and the tank only holds about 3 gallons probably only 5 gallons total system I do not know the exact temperature 16gpm pump 9 hp motor. I do split wood in the middle of the summer and it gets pretty hot.

Main reason I snaged a cooler without fan on ebay only 51.00 AKG DCS 10-12 I will not install a fan just whatever it gets done without.

View attachment 384592 Why adding the cooler?
I have an older Harbor Freight 30 ton splitter and the tank only holds about 3 gallons probably only 5 gallons total system I do not know the exact temperature 16gpm pump 9 hp motor. I do split wood in the middle of the summer and it gets pretty hot.

Main reason I snaged a cooler without fan on ebay only 51.00 AKG DCS 10-12 I will not install a fan just whatever it gets done without.
Without a fan Make sure you install the cooler flat without obstruction above or below. They work half way decent without a fan mounted this way as they create their own airflow due to rising hot air. Mounted upright you might as well of not bought one if you don't use a fan

Without a fan Make sure you install the cooler flat without obstruction above or below. They work half way decent without a fan mounted this way as they create their own airflow due to rising hot air. Mounted upright you might as well of not bought one if you don't use a fan

true that.

i used to have two computer fans blowing air thru, but i found out they don't like being outside...lol so, i just left it flat and let air flow do it's thing.

Back