Log splitter quit running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philoshop has it Water in gas. Small eniges do not have enough Vacuum to draw gas through carb.Water is heavier than gas.Drian gas and dry gas tank with rags.Refill with Fresh fuel.

Good luck.

Philoshop has it Water in gas. Small eniges do not have enough Vacuum to draw gas through carb.Water is heavier than gas.Drian gas and dry gas tank with rags.Refill with Fresh fuel.

Good luck.

I have already drained the tank a couple different times although I have not dried the tank with rags.

its most likely the fuel pump, needs to be taken apart cleaned and replace the diaphram/gaskets, alot of times when they work on and off like you describe, and it has a fuel pump. more times than not its the pump... and if youre going to do that you might as well clean the carb while youre at it.
if youre not good at remembering how it goes back together, then look for a diagram/parts breakdown of the carb so you can see how it goes back together.

This might seem a bit weird but if I were you, you me, I would yank the Briggs off that splitter and replace it with a 6.5 hp harbor freight predator engine for $99.00, and sell the Briggs on Craig's list for $40-70. Total investment/upgrade of $60 max for a new easy starting quiet engine, spend the extra timed saved splitting more wood.

Oh yea, the time it would take to rebuild that Briggs carb and pray you got all those little linkages and springs right you will have been able to swap motors.

I have a splitter built by my uncle back in 1978; the engine was a 1970 Tecumseh 10hp; no recoil, just wrap the cord around the pulley and pull; ran ok up until a few years ago.....became difficult to start and keep running, hard getting parts for it, finally yanked it off a couple years ago and went with one of those $99 Harbor Freight specials. Does not have the power that old Tecumseh did back in the day, so for any real gnarly pieces, I take smaller slabs. Sure is nice having a recoil and even though it sits outside, it does start with one pull, even during the winter, that's sooooo nice.

I had the same problem with my Briggs I replaced the fuel tank , Carb , & Magneto but the problem was the Kill wires running from the Magneto & Control panel had been chewed on by mice & were grounding out on the engine or other metal parts so they were making the engine run poorly or not at all Try looking at that. Everything I replaced was fairly easy to do Just be sure to take pictures as you disassemble everything so you have a reference to put it back together properly

I'm pretty decent at fixing small engine carb issues, but I had a snow blower fuel problem the other day that left me scratching my head. I threw up my hands and bought a Chinese carb for $18 and solved the problem. One thing not mentioned (or I missed it) is a blocked tank vent. Try running it with the fuel cap loosely fitted and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back