Log supports for Alaskan milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys,

I am milling a few logs each winter with an Alaskan for my hobby woodshop. I find that manipulating the logs is the largest part of the job, so I wonder whether one couldn't make that much easier using a "log scaffolding" with two large logs on the side of a sloped hill? That way I could keep the logs to be milled some 24" above ground and I could prepare some wooden dogs for quartersawing positions. I could also roll new logs to the milling position fairly easily.

Let me know if I am not explaining it clearly enough and I will make a sketch.

Has anybody done something similar and would he (or she;) ) be prepared to show us a photo of the arrangement?

Thanks
Tom

Interesting... that would get the logs off the ground and high enough for easier milling. I guess my question though would be how would you get logs up the hill above your setup, so you could roll them down into it? Do you have a tractor or other log handling machinery? Show us some pics if and when you get it set up, sounds interesting.

I get logs up off the ground so easier to mill using a car floor jack. I boost them up one end at a time onto custom horses with built in adjustable chocks.
a2afcb12.jpg

fdbbc821.jpg

ripsaw12310442.jpg

I have tried something similar to what you are talking about with the logs for sawhorses.You have to keep the log being milled close to the left edge of your scaffolding logs so that they arent in the way of your saw when you get close to the bottom of your milling log.All in all I think that a saw horse set up similar to the ones in the pics provided by woodshop are the better alternative. They are portable and you dont have to worry about them rolling.Ive got some white oak sitting around that ive been planning on making a pair out of when I have a little spare time.

How's this set up t. A little rustic. I rolled a few tree trunks down that hill and used this set up as a brake and a way to get the logs off the ground for slabbing.

canoe-beams.jpg

Here's a sketch of what I have in mind. I won't have time to make the arrangement until January, I guess, but if it works I will report here with some photos. Thanks for the posts.

That looks like something that can be improvised in the field where the log lies with out much more than a chainsaw and a cordless drill (provided you have a slope). I've learned to not build too many job specific rigs as they usually don't work well for much else. I like the concept behind Woodshop's setup. It's portable, adaptable and the parts can be used for much more than just milling.

Latest posts

Back