Loggers please give me your input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Before I call up the sawmills I would like to ask the guys on here what a single log is worth very roughly speaking.

20' long veneer quality red oak. Stem tip diameter is going to be 42" Butt diameter will be about 5' but I know that doesn't matter.

Straight log, nice taper, CLEAN, no rot, no knots, no metal, etc.

hello treeman,
I am in PA and our red oak prices are very low. I think we were getting somewhere in the area of 750.00 to 800.00 a thousand board feet here for run of the mill with some face and better in it.
mike

Oak seems to be down all over the Northeast it's low up here in NH as well , bad time of year for the Oak market right now ..I would guess your looking at roughly 600-1K for the log if it is as good as you say , but it all depends.. let us know how you make out

I'm trying to get in touch with a sawmill in CT. Hopefully they will take it.

I think I can bring them like 3,000 board feet of timber give or take from this one tree.

It's at a friend's house and he has his heart set on taking it down. To split that log up would be a tragedy, and to let it rot in the woods would be even worse. I am not going to get much money for putting it on the ground, so I'm wondering if maybe I go there with another friend and pick it up with his 10 wheeler and excavator I can make out a little better, and give the log a proper funeral so to speak.

Well, I've been making some phone calls and it's interesting. Different parts of the country the fuel prices are lower, the insurance prices are lower, cost of living is lower, etc. Well apparently around here timber prices are lower, because the timber buyers are only offering ~$100 for the whole thing.

Last one I took (white oak 16' 28" butt) pulled $50
Not worth it to me to haul one log
-Ralph

I wish I could get ahold of it with my 72"er but you're a bit far. It would be a shame for a log that size, provided it has a good heart, to be turned into little sticks. Try to find a mill that can slab it through the entire width. You'll have some material that's worth something then.

Just for S&G's, I wonder what freighting something like that to TX would run.

I don't see how anyone can place a value on a stem sight unseen and not even on the ground and bucked into logs. Don't take this the wrong way Matt, but if you don't have an idea on value then how can you be sure that your grading as a veneer log is accurate? No rot and no metal on a stem that size would be very rare especially in your neck of the woods. BTW, the red oak market in the NE is in the sh!tter. See if someone w/ a woodmizer will find more value in it. That 20' log will only scale out at 1700BF if your description of size is accurate. Heck that's about 3 cords of firewood! 3x the crazy firewood prices you claim are going on down there, you could make a couple of grand.

Mike, 1) I haven't asked anybody for exact prices, only ranges. Now I've heard something a little bit more in my favor. MUCH better than the $100 people. 2) I don't know that it is veneer, but am hopeful. 3) This particular tree is a forest tree for the most part. 4) My scaling is a very rough guess. 5) That price for firewood is in Manhattan.. the big apple.. I am about an hour away from there by car. 6) I found a guy with a woodmizer who is interested in it if it's still around come spring time. At least like that I know it will be going to a good home.

When it comes to things non-monetay I am a pessimist. When it comes to money, I am an optimist.

yo treeman,

you say you are about 1 hr from manhattan? I am located in Stony Point, NY- Rockland County, with offices in Rockland and Sullivan Counties. If you would like, I can scale your tree for you, and give you an actual estimate of it's worth. The reason the wood guys offered you a hundred bucks is because up in sullivan, you can get ten times that for that log, assuming it is what you say it is.
In white sulphur Springs, Veneer Oak goes for around $3000 per 1000 b/f. This all depends on, obviously, the quality of the wood, and the length to which the timber is cut.

Drop me an email ot [email protected] if you want me to take a look at it, and any other timber you might have as well. Perhaps if the numbers all add up, we can work something out. The Name is TJ Morris, by the way.

Latest posts

Back