Logging Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnc(ks)

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Logging isn't a big industry around here, but I've seen more log trucks that usual through here this summer. After seeing some of the great pics from Canada and the NW U.S. on this forum, I've got a couple of ignorance-based questions about logging operations:

1. Do the sawmills want a standard length log, or does the length vary by type of wood and by the sawmill?

2. Is there a minimum diameter on the logs the sawmill will take?

3. I saw some mention of a butt treatment (for logs), and I assume this is some kind of sealer. What do you use to treat log butts?

Thanks
John C. :p

Logging questions, I didn't even know there were any trees in Kansas. :D

1) The simple answer is yes. It depends on the mill. Common is 16'6" around my area. But the mills will take smaller if they are good logs. I'm sure this varies widely from mill to mill and different parts of the country.

2) Min. diameter at a high tech mill nearby is 8" on the small end. They have a gang blade rip bandsaw controlled by computer for maximum yield. Some mills don't have the technology to make small diameters profitable.

3) The end sealer I use is called anchorseal by UC Coatings. It helps reduce end checking. Sort of like preparation H for a log, stops the splitting and cracking, not sure about the burning and itching. :p

Of course this is all based on my limited experience.

logging question

John
I hope you are asking about Hardwood logs
1. 6" to 8" over stanard lenght( 8'8",10'6"12'6",14'6",16'6". The 6" to 8" is called triming allowance,for the removal of dirt and end stain. If you cut a log right at 10' it will be scaled as 8'. Black Cherry and Black Walnut we buy logs down to 4' 2" but thats the only species.

2. Their are many different grades of logs and leght wich will determine the minimum diameter of the log. basic (knots on two faces 8" minimum diameter, small end inside the bark) knot on one face or clear 6" minimum diameter. ecept for Black Walnut

3. Anchorseal is used in summer time to minamize sesonal defects on ends of logs and places on the log where bark is missing to reduce staining and checking, oxygen doesn't get to the log . Seth
beerchug.gif

Hi John, in Hardwood logs I cut for grade first then yield. I sell logs at lenghts of 8' 6" ,9'6", and 10' 6". I rarely cut in lengths over this unless its a perfect stick. Cutting to length is mostly a well thought out judgement call. End sealing is usually the responsibility of the log buyer or sawmill unless the logs are to be held over for a time during hot weather.
Hope this helps,
Gypo

Johnc(KS)
One thing not mentioned on any replies was when the trucks are delivering to paper mills, which is the main buyer of wood from Central Wisconsin north. They buy wood for pulp, which is used to make paper, paper products, and particle board. They are not nearly as picky about length or minimum diameter, depending on the mill. Some will take down to 4" at the small end, and up to 24" at the big end. They also are not usually concerned with weathering, unless it is peeled popple, which can not be cut and left more than a couple weeks, depending on weather. It is still used for pulp, just fetches a higher price since it doesn't have to go through the debarker. Hopefully this helps. Up here we call the semi's hauling logs pulp trucks.

Thanks for all the useful info. I can't tell whether the trucks are hauling hardwood or non-hardwood. It just seems odd seeing log trucks scattered amongst the grain and livestock trucks. I don't think any of it is pulpwood. I've heard rumors that someone is harvesting non-hardwoods for low-low-grade lumber products such as shipping pallets.
My Dad says that the drought of the 1930's killed most of the trees in the state. With that in mind, the hardwood stands in hedge-rows and creek-bottoms would be 60-70 years old....possibly ready to produce a few bf of lumber. Thanks again.

John C.

Logging Question

That goes for me, i cut for a plywood mill and cut multiple 9s , starting at 18' all the way to 63' anything over 25" goes standard log lengths , we get paid by the tons here.

Latest posts

Back