logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marry a woman with money. Lots of money. Like, maybe one with her own bank. A really big bank.

In the mean time you can practice bring a logger. Get up real early in the morning, put on the clothes you wore yesterday and the day before, scarf down a quick breakfast high in calories, stop at 7-11 on your way to the woods and get some more high calorie bad for you food, get to the woods, slam your fingers in the pickup door just to get yourself in the right frame of mind, and get out there in the pouring rain to run in small circles, cussing, and tearing up twenty dollar bills and slapping yourself on the shin with a choker bell.

There's more but that should be good enough practice for now.

Last edited:
To start your own logging business, the best plan is just to forget that idea right now the was the economy is

Learn to read and analyze mud.

Sell the data to the oil company.

Become rich beyond imagination.

Oh, you meant timber harvesting.....

my bad:laugh:

If you want to be successful at logging you have to have something else that you can do, that can make you money in a pinch. , that being said, I do nothing but make money at logging .........................................................................................................................................., BUT I only log if I can make money, which more or less makes me a "wussy" logger (By most true logger's standards, LOL), cause I don't make it my life, to the point, I keep doing it to the point of bankruptcy and a ruined life, but then I'm that way about any way of making money, I'm not attached to anything too much that I can't leave it with money in my pockets. I don't log to say I'm a logger, I log to make money ........... there is a difference, and whats really nice is, only the real loggers can notice the difference, LOL.

If there are no good jobs or no money in the job, I quit and do something else until good opportunities present themselves .... Lately they have really been presenting themselves, LOL, and I don't really have anything else "popping" for me now, so logging is just something I do when there isn't something else that pays better.

The problem with most of the loggers I have been around, is they are worthless, drunks that don't really want to work, or don't really want to work hard, or don't really want to work hard for a very long time if needed to get the job done. I have always called them "$500 per week guys", they make $500 on Monday or Tuesday and then quit for the rest of the week, drink beer or F off, then get loans off of the sawmill or timber buyer, and then it rains for a week and they they are badly broke and then ..... they are up the creek or floating down it.

If you want to be a logger, you will do good to heed a lot of the aforementioned practice routines, because there is more truth to it than not. It is rough and dangerous on a level that those that don't do it, can't comprehend. The guys or gals that you work with have to be good, or they will get you killed, if you are lucky, because you can always get paralysed as a close second, LOL.

You will learn to hate and I mean HATE WITH A PASSION, rookies or greenhorns. Nothing can F up more stuff than a rookie. You pay them $100-300 per day and they destroy $5000 in the first week, LOL.

I have only worked with one other "plain ole" logger that I truly respected as a logger. Otherwise, I have mostly worked with ex-amish loggers and bullriders that also log. You can't go to McDonalds and find workers, you can't hire your friends, you have to find a combination of person that doesn't mind "just about dying" on a routine basis, and yet has a sharp enough mind to run equipment and strategize laying down the timber correctly and pulling logs correctly without getting killed or killing you or damaging everything they touch inbetween. Such a person if very, very, very, very .......... very rare, and you don't find them in "normal" places.

Good luck, LOL.

Sam

step 1: buy standing timber
step 2: put it on the ground
step 3: sell it to the mill
hang on to enought money between steps one and three to survive off of and youre a logger.

some guys work production, moving lots and lots of low grade timber
i prefer to work on quality, cutting every tree for its highest and best use. i dont sent veneer logs for pulp and i dont put pulp in the chipper, etc. even if i only have 3 veneer logs at the end of the job i can put them on a trailer behind the pickup and haul them in myself.

Marry a woman with money. Lots of money. Like, maybe one with her own bank. A really big bank.

In the mean time you can practice bring a logger. Get up real early in the morning, put on the clothes you wore yesterday and the day before, scarf down a quick breakfast high in calories, stop at 7-11 on your way to the woods and get some more high calorie bad for you food, get to the woods, slam your fingers in the pickup door just to get yourself in the right frame of mind, and get out there in the pouring rain to run in small circles, cussing, and tearing up twenty dollar bills and slapping yourself on the shin with a choker bell.

:laugh:

Take Bob's advice like the gospel. Get ready to be put through self induced torture. It's a must. Having it too easy makes you never be able to dig down and find out about what Grit is. Having what it takes to make the hard stuff work, and turn a profit. Last time I checked the glory days are gone, so I would say get ready for smaller timber on the broad spectrum, fierce competition working for dirt, and investing 2-5 million (new stuff will keep you from turning a wrench for a month or so) on a good mechinized side to handle that smaller to medium sized wood on a production level to blow throw it, then go bid on another job. Call me if you need some tower ground or oversize cut. Be glad to help you out

Start by building a railroad through the forest... ...then don't build the railroad, but keep the land grants the government gave you. Then contract with loggers to log your land.

Here is a bit on that...
""In 1864 President Lincoln signed into law the largest of the railroad land grants, the Northern Pacific railroad land grant...."

"...Ultimately, millions of acres of railroad forests would pass from Northern Pacific to Weyerhaeuser and other corporations."

Railroads and Clearcuts...
http://www.ecobooks.com/books/railroad.htm

Yeah, I spilled my coffee all over myself from laughing at this. Particularly the slamming the fingers in the truck door part.

Gologit, that is hilarious!

Make sure you have a teflon coverd tub. .
If its hot out, you can bet that by the end of the day you will be coverd in something, dirt, saw dust, hydraulic oil, blood.

I started out as a valedictorian at school with scholarship offers from some pretty good colleges. Then I got into an altercation and a guy whacked me on the head pretty hard with a baseball bat. Then I became a logger.

Boy its a tough go here for info on starting up! I think its a great deal to go for it that way you can boost the economy by giving all your money away to those who dont need it. But before that I would strongly suggest giving what you have to someone else then try and survive on nothing for about the next 5 months and see if you still want to do it its been a bad go round for the last 4 years for me but those who are willing to never give up and never give in can make a survival not a living and be damn sure that you have a wife with great medical benefits too thats a must in this day and age. Now the log truck owner operators make a better living that the logger if you work it right it seems that every normal person in the world thinks thats a logger anyway so if they already believe it then it ain't lyin right:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back