Logsplitter with boom pics please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefh3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but I need some help. I have a homemade logsplitter that I dug out of the field that actually ran when I got it home. I have had this for about 5 years now and have split alot of wood with it. The only problem that I have is that the wood is not getting any lighter so I would like to mount a boom on it to pick the wood up for me. I would like to get some ideas of how to do this so if you have any pics please post or give any suggestions. Thanks alot.

I'm new to this forum but I need some help. I have a homemade logsplitter that I dug out of the field that actually ran when I got it home. I have had this for about 5 years now and have split alot of wood with it. The only problem that I have is that the wood is not getting any lighter so I would like to mount a boom on it to pick the wood up for me. I would like to get some ideas of how to do this so if you have any pics please post or give any suggestions. Thanks alot.

A buddy of mine made one and I have borrowed it several times. It has a mast and boom on the opposite end from the wedge, and a separate ram to lift the logs. I have picked up 30 inch diameter logs with no problem using a slip chain.

I will endeavor to get to his wood yard and snap a bunch of pics soon.

Regards,
Da Hack

Harbor freight sells a cheap crane for truck beds...might work.

I remember seeing pics of one here a while back with a cable winch on it. Might be worth some time in the search function.

I already have the boom, controller, and the metal to set it up just wondering how do I run the hoses so that it can spin 360 degrees with binding the hoses.

I already have the boom, controller, and the metal to set it up just wondering how do I run the hoses so that it can spin 360 degrees with binding the hoses.

Make really long hoses and try to soften any edges that they may rub against. As far as I know you won't be able to do a continuous 360.

What kind of boom do you have? Manufacturer?

I'm not sure on the boom manufacturer due to it being painted. I will post some pics tonight. I don't think I can go cont. 360 but to swivel back and forth

As you can tell I had to put a support in the rear just in case a log is too heavy it wouldn't tear up the equipment so it only swivels to the support than all the way back.

Pictures of Log Splitter with Boom

Here are some recent pictures of a boom I added to my splitter. I use a 5000 lb Warn winch to lift the big logs. I have a 14 hp Wisconsin engine with an alternator which charges the battery which keeps the winch running just fine. I can lift the big logs all day without any problem. I currently use a small chain around the log but I am thinking of buying a set of long tongs.

Below is a link to a thread I posted awhile back for simple hoist I can set up on the back of my truck to load rounds to bring home and then offload onto splitter when I get home. I just swing mine by hand, I've seen some older equipment use a couple of cyl's,sprocket and roller chain to pivot arm's with.
Swannie

http://new.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31535

here is a picture of my solution for it. Pretty simple to setup. Sorry for the quality, but I hope you get the idea.

Latest posts

Back