long bar/wrap handles/skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some of you guys are very very funny! i should have said hills but if the deck is steep enough to watch my oil go careening at lightening speeds it is definintly not flat ha ha. Thats ok we just started on a new job and every stick of wood there can be grappled, O ya!!

By PNW definition a real mountain. I live at 1200 ft above sea level and the "hill" behind my house is around 2700 we call these foot hills. Mount Rainier is 14'410 feet above sea level. Our mountains and our bars kind of go together.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Not here for a pissin' match, but I make stumps just as low with 3/4 wraps in big wood everyday. Just back bar the under cut - then match up the back cut. Easier that most think.

i know what you mean here. front cut, back cut, lay 'er down. do this quite a bit if the wood is permitting. as for me i just don't need a full wrap. you guys have a different cutting style than we do around here and each requires their own type of tools. and to be honest ive never ran a full wrap so i honestly don't know anything about them. but i can think of several times in which they would be in my way, therefor i stray away from them...and im not sure if i could even get one in IL???? different tools for different jobs thats all.

nah, im just gonna stick with my half wrap..i like it for what im doing. but if i was in a different situation and thought that i needed one i sure as heck would. im the type of guy that tries to use the best tool for the job. and if i full or 3/4 wrap was it then that is what i would get. but, btw how is madsens on the shipping. i was thinking about getting a chainsaw bar from them, and i need to get some parts for my spencer tape, and possibly a roll of chain

nah, im just gonna stick with my half wrap..i like it for what im doing. but if i was in a different situation and thought that i needed one i sure as heck would. im the type of guy that tries to use the best tool for the job. and if i full or 3/4 wrap was it then that is what i would get. but, btw how is madsens on the shipping. i was thinking about getting a chainsaw bar from them, and i need to get some parts for my spencer tape, and possibly a roll of chain

their shipping is a little more than bailey's. but if you return something, they pay for the return shipping. Bailey's sells wraps too but they charge way more for them than Madsen's. At least they did....

just ordered me a 36" powermatch w/ 2 chains (full comp of course), chain breaker and spinner, some spencer tape parts, couple bar tips and a few other things from baileys

just ordered me a 36" powermatch w/ 2 chains (full comp of course), chain breaker and spinner, some spencer tape parts, couple bar tips and a few other things from baileys

yeah, i need to place an order too....

buncha little crap - notably I broke my crayon holder when it fell out of my pouch and I dropped a 48" chunk on it... :-(

You're not a professional unless you can get a 40" DBH tree down with a 20" bar, half wrap and full comp. That seperates the men from the boys. Clearance, you think that everybody's technique is wrong except yours. That's all there is to it.:notrolls2: :notrolls2: :sucks: :sucks: :laugh: :deadhorse:

This has gotten great to read, but............................well yes you can waist time with the 20" and we sometimes do, but when I bit into a 52" 272' tree today for a bridge I would have been pissed with a 20" and so would the boss!

You can do it and anyone experienced with falling can, but why waist the time and energy. At least here, time is money and a guy with a 36" with make half again what the 20" does each day. Yes we still have the big trees. Hell, last week I saw a 14' laying next to it's stump, yes 14 foot diameter, at the cut which was 8 foot up the swell.

Last edited:
This has gotten great to read, but............................well yes you can waist time with the 20" and we sometimes do, but when I bit into a 52" 272' tree today for a bridge I would have been pissed with a 20" and so would the boss!

You can do it and anyone experienced with falling can, but why waist the time and energy. At least here, time is money and a guy with a 36" with make half again what the 20" does each day. Yes we still have the big trees. Hell, last week I saw a 14' laying next to it's stump, yes 14 foot biamter, at the cut which was 8 foot up the swell.
A true PNW club lifetime membership. I guess they believe 6 cuts are faster than 3.:help:

full or half wrap

food for thought: when a potential faller goes for testing here in british columbia they will lose points required for certification if they have less then a full wrap saw on them. Least that was the way it was a few years ago.

Personally; I like 3/4 or full wraps and for myself I think anything less then a 28 inch bar leads to back strain as one has to bend over to cut flush to the ground with smaller bars. I also find that a 28 inch bar is easy to bend and snap the chain back unto when it skips saving undoing the chain break cover like I have to do on 20 inch bars.

figured someone would wonder why i didn't go full skip, no real reason, doesn't cut as fast in hardwood, imo. this won't be the full time bar for the saw, just for any tree 6'+. and to be honest when i was placing my order i wasn't thinking skip because i was talking with the guy about some other chain and didn't think about getting it. i used to run skip chain on my 24" bars and didn't like it, sure it was a lil faster to sharpen, but it cut slower and was easier to throw off the bar.

and a 42" would get you laughed at out here, and whenever you tried putting a facecut, backcut on somebody's big white oak it would get u fired whenever you pulled the heart out of it, different tools for different jobs

It does not determine if you are a pro or not, but it does determine if you are a pro in certain areas. A 20" would get you fired here!

Yeah, show up with less than an 044/28" here (even on a stand of pulpwood) and they'll redirect you to the bonsai class at the community college.

Latest posts

Back