Long Log Analysis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Occasionaly I run into a long log that I have cut for the wood stove. LOML helps load, and usually she will call one to my attention that she thinks may not quite fit.

I usually say to her, "Set it aside, and I will deal with it."

That's because I was the one who cut the log to length for the stove with my chain saw. She did not. Most of the time it fits, but I sure do like it when she asks me to make sure.

How do you handle those logs that may be too long to burn in your stove or fireplace?

Put them in diagonally across the firebox when you are only burning 1 or 2 splits at a time. If it doesn't fit that way then you really overshot the length and can cut it in half again and load them N/S.

Like someone else said, put them in diagonally. If you have a top loader it's pretty easy so long as there is a lot of hot coals

With what should I cut it when it's already inside the house? How do you handle it?

perhaps carry it back outside.. and cut it in half... with the same saw you used to cut it too long the first time?
as far as handling,i prefer handling them with my hands, the opposable thumb works great for grabbing things

i use a log shrinker....model number cs370 with 14" bar and chain..you might be able to get one at your local hardware store next to the log stretchers....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::newbie:

perhaps carry it back outside.. and cut it in half... with the same saw you used to cut it too long the first time?
as far as handling,i prefer handling them with my hands, the opposable thumb works great for grabbing things

Not trying to be a smartass but that right there was funny.As I read this That was the reply that was forming on my lips. Scott:laugh:

Well if you are Blonde then you throw out the stove and get a bigger one to fit the log...

Fit them in at an angle in the stove. If that doesn't work, then out to the garage and cut with either a 21" or 36" bow saw. This painstaking strategy will linger long into the next cutting season. The next year you won't have to use the bow saws very much.:D

I have a friend who had this problem. He had been taking them into his basement and cutting them on the band saw. Then, I showed him a picture from a member in this forum (sorry, can't remember the name), and now he cuts them with a chainsaw on a rack like this:

(not my photo or rack)
LogStrap.jpg

Well if you are Blonde then you throw out the stove and get a bigger one to fit the log...
That's the solution I was looking for! :blob2: :laugh:

Actually, the band saw idea is the best, primarily because I own one. Mine can cross cut logs that are up to 8" dia. The band saw also produces minimal sawdust. Thanks to all for the humor and interesting ideas.

You did miss one important point. I've got LOML trained to help load the stove when it's ready for a couple of more logs.

I keep a bow saw on the porch, I'll use that if I don't feel like walking down to the barns and getting my saw out and warmed up. That's after I already tried to fit it in the stove diagonally every which way. Sometimes they get hung up and I spend all day trying to get it to burn down enough to break in the middle.

What is a LOML? Is that a new version of LOL or something like that?
Maybe it is a new breed of dog, I have always wanted to train a dog to load the stove for me.

Grip by end
Step onto porch
Swing arm back
Swing arm forward
Release grip
With any luck it will land close to the campfire pile :hmm3grin2orange:

Back