long term firewood storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats what I'm afraid of, I have about 12 cord outside on the concrete in my barn lot. So every week or so I get the skid loader and stir the pile. The top of the pile usaully is really dry but the center is soaking wet so I try to make sure it gets rotated to keep from rotting until I can split and stack it.

With the concrete bottom, if you get it on skids, stacked, it'll be easy to move with forks(if you stack for stability), there will be airflow from the bottom, and the bugs will leave it be. Covering the top of skid piles will be worth the effort, but if you can set up a shed roof, just posts and metal roof, with three sides open to air, you'll not have to worry about that wood for many years to come. The worst that will happen is an occasional mouse nest or over-wintering insect.

By the way, its also what I do, and once I stack it in there, it could stay indefinately.

Once you figure out the solution that works for you, post a pic or two, we like pics of wood.

With the concrete bottom, if you get it on skids, stacked, it'll be easy to move with forks(if you stack for stability), there will be airflow from the bottom, and the bugs will leave it be. Covering the top of skid piles will be worth the effort, but if you can set up a shed roof, just posts and metal roof, with three sides open to air, you'll not have to worry about that wood for many years to come. The worst that will happen is an occasional mouse nest or over-wintering insect.

By the way, its also what I do, and once I stack it in there, it could stay indefinately.

Once you figure out the solution that works for you, post a pic or two, we like pics of wood.

This post is a bit old but a couple months back I was able to shove it under a lean to off the backside of my bank barn, the past couple of weeks I've been a splitting fool since I just finished plumbing my splitter! now about 5/8 is split and relocated under one of the other bldg.s I still have to stack it up but now that it is there it stay that way until it gets burned, so now I'm happy...almost:cheers:

I have no problems keeping oak in good shape for four years in an open sided woodshed. I stack it on iron T-post runners.

By that do mean that you just lay T-posts flat on the ground with the 3rd rib up? Doesn't seem that would keep the wood up off the ground, the weight would cause the t-posts to sink. Am I missing something?

By that do mean that you just lay T-posts flat on the ground with the 3rd rib up? Doesn't seem that would keep the wood up off the ground, the weight would cause the t-posts to sink. Am I missing something?

There's other crap under there to support the posts and further isolate the firewood from the ground. Things like bark, PT lumber, galvanized pipe, etc.

Back