Long Term Repair and Maintenance Cost of some Professional Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palbin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I tripped over this scientific (?) report on "Long Term Repair
and Maintenance Cost of some Professional Chainsaws" ...

Attachments

• calvo_265_272.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
Service life exceeding 3000 hours, life span of at least 8 years, typically 500 hours of annual usage, seems not unrealistic numbers. Depending on the size of a workgroup or down to just individual.

P.S. (However not in the report)
- What about if any service life changing with the introduction of the new Strato type (fresh air) engines during the last decade?

I wouldn't trust Italians with chainsaws.....
Obviously never tried out an Efco/Oleo Mac before....

Would finally be interesting to see some real life numbers of runtime with the new electric carb saws. With their internal clock it should be easy to check real usage not the estimated numbers quoted over the years.

I'm not a logger, thank God! Work is far too hard and dangerous to my liking. I trust the loggers who post on here when they say a logger's saw is usually only good for about a year of regular logging work. I can't see how the study lists 8 years, unless they include us hobbyists, rather than just the professionals. Just my opinion based upon the experiences of others here who are in the know.

I'm not a logger, thank God! Work is far too hard and dangerous to my liking. I trust the loggers who post on here when they say a logger's saw is usually only good for about a year of regular logging work. I can't see how the study lists 8 years, unless they include us hobbyists, rather than just the professionals. Just my opinion based upon the experiences of others here who are in the know.
The saws I service (for a money earning logging company) are usually traded in every 2 years: unless it's been the back up saw & not used as much ( fallers, although the saws are same Make/Model )have their favorites & would rather you if possible fix their fav one soonest rather than using the backup The Main agent takes them in trade for new replacements I have no idea what happens to them. Mostly the first year is just servicing & replacement of consumables IIRC in the 10 years Iv'e been doing this job we've only had about 2 major breakdowns, possibly due to the fact that the fallers are all family members & any neglect, misuse of the kit reflects on the profit & their take home monies + the boss spends what's necessary to keep equipment in tip top order his thinking is any down time is lost money.

generally a felling crew saw gets replaced every year , and that is even if it still runs perfectly well.

bucking crew saws took the worst beating . took a hell of a saw to last one year bucking pulpwood. we had a number of saws that couldn't even make two weeks on the bucking deck.

we had a few saws that seemed "indestructible" the 630,670, 920 and 930 jonesreds , the old big metal huskys --they ran years and years beyond the best use by date.

we ran a bunch of 360 homies for a couple years --everybody hated them for low power and hard starting . but they were tough --they saw a lot of hard use.

now days felling is mostly by machine, and short pulp is gone. so nobody runs saws like they did back in the day.

come to think of it-- we did test run some efcos back them . they were some of those "also ran" types on the pulpwood deck. several of them failed in the first two weeks. seems some thing was breaking and going into the cylinder and efco wasn't making it good , some kind of design defect.

the dealer came and took all the efcos . i know we got most of our $$ back . can't recall if we got all of it back though.

surly they improved them since as that was decades ago--

the big advantage of a pro saw is it can be built back to a like new machine, -- some of my 440s have been gone threw several times. a non pro saw is tough to find parts -- i think their disposable-- your not supposed to attempt fixing um.

Back