long term saw storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooperforeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What's the best way to store a saw that won't be used for a long time?
I 'm thinking to drain the fuel tank then run the saw till it quits and put some oil down the sparkplug hole.
Is there anything else that should be done?

You could cover plug exhaust to keep critters out of it. Store it with the piston in the closed position near TDC over the ports.

I've heard to leave fuel in the tank and carb with stabilizer so that the seals and such in the carb don't dry out and crack.

I'm not advocating this, however, I think this school of thought may have some merit.

I think I would drain all fluids myself. Take bar and chain off.

Stihl in short order says this about the MS261 which I am pretty sure is a across the board thing.

Drain and clean fuel tank. Start saw to run it out of fuel.

Clean entire saw.

Remove chain and bar. Fill oil tank completly full.........if using Stihl biological chain and bar Bio Plus oil. Store in a dry,high or locked location out of the reach of children..or away from CAD inflicted people:msp_biggrin:

I notice that saws with purge bulbs still have gas in the bulb after running dry. Is there any merit to pumping a few times, and run dry a second time?

That's a good idea of bringing the piston near TDC.
I've heard about leaving fuel in the carb with fuel stabilizer,but myself I think it's better to run the carb dry.
How do they recommend to "clean the fuel tank"? Do they mean with parts washer solvent,carb. cleaner,etc?

i got a stihl 009 that was left in the shed not used for 10+ years the guy said he drained the tank and ran it dry i got it put some news lines in it cleaned the carb threw some 20:1 in the head and 32:1 in the tank 20 damm pulls and it fired ran it for 5 mins and then threw 40:1 in runs like a dream just a blunt chain lol
now im a newbie to the site so what does CAD mean ?

Send it to me, I will make sure it is stored correctly, gets weekly exercise and has some friends around so it doesn't get lonely.

then you're missing out. my 3120 has a primer bulb, and I wish it had a kick starter on it...

maybe you could adapt this to it !

attachment.php

now im a newbie to the site so what does CAD mean ?

Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder.... An uncontrollable urge to continue to add saws to your collection whether you need them or not. Looks like you are already afflicted and don't even know it.

Stihl in short order says this about the MS261 which I am pretty sure is a across the board thing.

Drain and clean fuel tank. Start saw to run it out of fuel.

Clean entire saw.

Remove chain and bar. Fill oil tank completly full.........if using Stihl biological chain and bar Bio Plus oil. Store in a dry,high or locked location out of the reach of children..or away from CAD inflicted people:msp_biggrin:

Why fill the oil tank completely if its going to sit for a long time? wont it just leak out after time. I would just like to know thanks

Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder.... An uncontrollable urge to continue to add saws to your collection whether you need them or not. Looks like you are already afflicted and don't even know it.

thanks mate yeah i think im suffering ive got anout 10 brushcutters and add different motors and chainsaws yeah i buy them wheever i can and thay just sit there wating to be used lol

Why fill the oil tank completely if its going to sit for a long time? wont it just leak out after time. I would just like to know thanks

I do not know why. THat is how it is worded in the manual.

Ckleaning the fuel tank I would think is common sense anything to rinse it out of dirty wood chips etc. I thikn you could use about anything. I like carb/brake cleaner my self since it dries fast.

I run them dry and put them in their case. Moisture is a big issuer in the PNW so I keep them dry.

Pulled out the pole pruner after it sat for a year. Fueled it up and darn if it didn't take three cranks to get it fired up.

I know I've seen enough issues from leaving the fuel in the equipment to resist doing that anymore.

Here in the midwest I ahve found saws sitting for years and they seem fine other than the usual fuel line decay.

One might want to put the saw in a garbage bag to seal it up from moisture in high humidity areas? It would also keep the saw clean of dirt.

here in PNE i dont do anything to any gas powered tools that are going to see extended storage. And we didnt either at my old job. Stuff sat for years and never got touched. never had any issues related to bad gas or carbs gumming up.

if you want the most insurance, IMO, start the equipment once a month for a minute.

Here's what I do:

Dump the tank.

Drain the fuel line by pulling it off at the carb.

Fire up the saw and let the carb run dry.

Leave the fuel cap off for a couple three days so that the tank will dry out thoroughly.

Latest posts

Back