Long term storage procedure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I clean the saw really well: compressed air really helps. Remove the side and top covers, bar and chain, sprocket and clutch cup (on STIHL saws), and clean underneath.

This lets me inspect the saw so that there are no 'surprises' when I go to use it again. If I need parts, or something needs attention, I can get what I need.

It also removes any dry dust that can attract and hold moisture, and any greasy dust that can dry out and harden.

Clean the air filter, file the bar if needed, sharpen the chains, etc. reassemble.

Then I add a little Stabil to the fuel (if I have not treated the can) and run it dry. Try restarting 2-3 times.

Lately, I have also been draing the bar oil tank back into the jug (disposable paper funnels from gas station) instead of letting it leak out. Saves a mess more than anything.

Philbert

My saws get fueled , non-ethanol EuroSuper95+2-stoke oil.
They get turned on every now and then (once every month or two) , ran at idle till they warm up then blipped till they stop smoking thus flushing the carb with non-thickened fuel (the fuel seems to evaporate out of the carb leaving the oil behind).

I never let them sit dry , to my logic it would increase the possibility that the carb gaskets/diaphragms dry out and harden , same goes for the fuel/oil lines.
This logic I adopted from my Sachs-Dolmar 105's manual which states to store the saw fueled - and it seems to work for me. ;)

Latest posts

Back