Longer shaft on Fiskars splitting maul?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longer handle on Fiskars splitting maul?

• Good as is, 23 1/2 inch handle with 4 1/4 lbs head

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Longer shaft, like 28 inch handle with 4 1/4 lbs head

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Longer shaft, like 28 inch handle with 6 lbs head

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Longer shaft, like 32 inch with 4 1/4 lbs head

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Longer shaft, like 32 inch with 6 lbs head

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Longer shaft, like 32 inch with 8 lbs head

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AKKAMAAN

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Before deciding that there is an almost unanimous opinion, that a longer shaft is desired, let's use the POLL - tool...
-Good as is with 4 1/4 lbs head and 23 1/2 inch handle
-Longer shaft, like 28 inch with 4 1/4 lbs head
-Longer shaft, like 28 inch with 6 lbs head
-Longer shaft, like 32 inch with 4 1/4 lbs head
-Longer shaft, like 32 inch with 6 lbs head
-Longer shaft, like 32 inch with 8 lbs head

There was no option for a 34" handle. Those are the ones I really like, no risk of chopping my toe off. 6 lb. head is most ideal, too hard to swing an 8 pounder really fast.

Am I missing something? According to Fiskars.com, they have a 28" Super Splitting Maul with a 4# head.

Hmm... maybe I missed that on their site. I do know though, Fiskars didn't have any 28" handles available about a year ago. At least I couldn't find any.

*EDIT*

I just measured my Fiskars, as I thought they were certainly short. The measurements from top of axehead to bottom of handle are 28"
I feel like a real idiot. In this case, I wish they made a 32" handle.

Last edited:
I have both the splitting axe and chopping axe, and prefer to swing the lighter one. Its lightweight promotes speed, and the sharp edge and slim profile goes into the wood with surprising authority. Using a round as a chopping block, I don't have a problem with the handles as they are, but a few inches longer wouldn't be a detriment. My 6# maul hasn't been used since I got the Fiskars.:spam:

4 1/4bl

Breaking News: I have the whole day off tommorow! This means one thing: The 4 1/4 Fiskars will be out in full force tommorow working up Pignut Hickory Rounds. My back hurts just thinking about it. If it's hickory, the lighter 2 1/4lb Fiskars just isn't up to the job. Maybe I'll take a few pics as I haven't had a week day off in over a year!

Hmm... maybe I missed that on their site. I do know though, Fiskars didn't have any 28" handles available about a year ago. At least I couldn't find any.

*EDIT*

I just measured my Fiskars, as I thought they were certainly short. The measurements from top of axehead to bottom of handle are 28"
I feel like a real idiot. In this case, I wish they made a 32" handle.

I'm with this guy on all counts:dizzy:

Back