Longer straight edges for an Alaskan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispy6822

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Currently I use a 18' section of AL ladder for a straight edge with the Alaskan mill. Was all excited as this spring I am cutting some nice timber into 24' long beams. Of course my excitement was dashed as I realized I have no idea what to use to get a 24' straight edge.

A simple solution is out there or sure, but figured I would ask what others have come up with?

Any ideas?

Why not just cut to the end of the ladder, slide the ladder down the tree, re-level, and continue cutting?

Why not just cut to the end of the ladder, slide the ladder down the tree, re-level, and continue cutting?

I was thinking that but was concerned about the accuracy of re leveling it. I am thinking it would not take much to be off over 24'.

If I could figure it out I could use both halves of the ladder butted together and use a string line to keep them both on the same plane. ??? Maybe.

I think I saw a video on the Granberg site of a guy using their rail system and if I remember right he cut to the end and then slid the system ahead of him and continued on. I guess you would have to trust your level.

You should be OK sliding the ladder down the trunk if you work to a level or your trunk is highly cylindrical. However, if the trunk has a bend or an irregular surface sliding will not produce a straight slab. Another problem to take into account will be on the first cut if the trunk thickens in the remaining 6ft - so just make sure your height of ladder above the trunk is clear to slide down the remaining part. If you set up so you are clear to slide, one possibility is to insert some 1/4" metal strap through the fresh kerf on the previous 18 ft and strap or even clamp the ladder to the metal straps. That will allow you to reference the ladder to the existing kerf.
attachment.php

You will of course need to tie the slab to the trunk at some point or it may tip.

I believe that somewhere on Granbergs website they show you how to use a string-line to set a series of lag bolts down your log so that you can slide your starter board or ladder down the log as needed and keep it in a consistent plane. I think that CaseyForrest posted some pics of this at one time. Hope this helps.

Currently I use a 18' section of AL ladder for a straight edge with the Alaskan mill. Was all excited as this spring I am cutting some nice timber into 24' long beams. Of course my excitement was dashed as I realized I have no idea what to use to get a 24' straight edge.

A simple solution is out there or sure, but figured I would ask what others have come up with?

Any ideas?

Mark out cross on but end.Tack a string line- tight.Bounce it.Marry the other end with another( lined up) cross.Should help you keep on track when you move ladder.

I believe that somewhere on Granbergs website they show you how to use a string-line to set a series of lag bolts down your log so that you can slide your starter board or ladder down the log as needed and keep it in a consistent plane. I think that CaseyForrest posted some pics of this at one time. Hope this helps.

G'day DT,
Posted before i saw yrs come through.

Thanks all.

I do remember as someone suggested the lag bolts and string. Be darned if I can find it on Granbergs website. It might of been in the manual which I will have to find.

I guess the key here is not level, but a straight continues line.

Lag bolts might be the way to go but I imagine I will have to have a plate lay onto the lag bolts from side to side or else I would never be able to set the ladder onto the lag bolts.

Thanks all.

I do remember as someone suggested the lag bolts and string. Be darned if I can find it on Granbergs website. It might of been in the manual which I will have to find.

I guess the key here is not level, but a straight continues line.

Lag bolts might be the way to go but I imagine I will have to have a plate lay onto the lag bolts from side to side or else I would never be able to set the ladder onto the lag bolts.

I might be mistaken about it being on Granbergs site, As Casey said that he saw it in Maloffs book. :cheers:

I might be mistaken about it being on Granbergs site, As Casey said that he saw it in Maloffs book. :cheers:

After you mentioned it I remember seeing it somewhere a while back. I still have the directions from Granberg and I will check to see if it is in there.

No harm if I do not find it as I have the general idea in my head.

After you mentioned it I remember seeing it somewhere a while back. I still have the directions from Granberg and I will check to see if it is in there.

No harm if I do not find it as I have the general idea in my head.

It's in the instr book. You can download it from the HF site. Hope this helps.

Rodney

Back