LOOK at the load of junk I got today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL CRUSADER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Boy I gotta say I do love having first dibs on trade ins at the shop. Especially on the stuff that the boss doesn't want. Now I know these may not be for everybody but Im sure some of you may like these as they are all in really good shape. I got them all gone through now and ready to work they all needed basically the same thing typical fuel system rebuild, chains sharpened, bars resurfaced. All have low hours on them. Anyway the line up Poulan pro super 380, craftsman 3.3/ poulan 3300, Jonsered 2145, Poulan super XXV CV. I didn't like the narrow tipped bar that was on the 380 but luckily had a better husky bar laying around that fit right on the sucker I am quite intrigued by this saw. Was kinda a turd at first but didnt take long to figure out why. What a sad sad muffer just screaming for help. What a difference it made too. I have heard that these respond well to porting as well, any thoughts? The xxv even came with a case and the thing is nearly mint just need to clean them all up now. Its amazing what $125 can get you if you know were to look.:D

The 380 is an excellant saw. I love the ones I have.
Be careful on the bar. The 380 uses the K041 mount and most if not all the Husky's use the K095 mount. You can use the bars but have to open up the area of the bar rail to the adjuster hole.

Should be an S25CVA, 38cc of snort. Good bucket saw.

315487d1379887447-005-jpg

Those Super 380's are junk.

Just so happens I'm a junk collector from way back if you need some help figuring out what to do with it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, you made a nice haul!

That Sears best 3.3 just might be a Poulan Pro 335 with a chrome bore and thin rings, but you will have to check.

Just so happens I'm a junk collector from way back if you need some help figuring out what to do with it. :hmm3grin2orange:

That Sears best 3.3 just might be a Poulan Pro 335 with a chrome bore and thin rings, but you will have to check.

Seams to be alot of junk collectors out there especially ones that want that 380. I knew it was a hard one to come by but didn't know that many people would want it. I would like to know a bit more about it as its hard to find info on it. Just seams to be a odd ball of sorts. I will check on the Crapsman tomorrow and report back with my findings. Good timing too as I had ideas of checking out that muffler as well he he.

Seams to be alot of junk collectors out there especially ones that want that 380. I knew it was a hard one to come by but didn't know that many people would want it. I would like to know a bit more about it as its hard to find info on it. Just seams to be a odd ball of sorts. I will check on the Crapsman tomorrow and report back with my findings. Good timing too as I had ideas of checking out that muffler as well he he.

friend brought over same model crapsmen...said runs like junk...sooooooo. I took the muff off, crips a mighty!! screen and baffle went flying, then instead of opening a hole in the muff, I took a die grinder, and put two longer slots in it. then readjusted the fuel. used to could pull and pull before it started,,and then wouldn't pull for crap. now he uses it instead of his heavier echo!!! one pull and its running!! same size chain on both,,and the crap gets thru first every time...

friend brought over same model crapsmen...said runs like junk...sooooooo. I took the muff off, crips a mighty!! screen and baffle went flying, then instead of opening a hole in the muff, I took a die grinder, and put two longer slots in it. then readjusted the fuel. used to could pull and pull before it started,,and then wouldn't pull for crap. now he uses it instead of his heavier echo!!! one pull and its running!! same size chain on both,,and the crap gets thru first every time...
Right the muffler on the 380 was awful, as are most saws. However the 380 was one of the worst as it basically had two baffles in it. there was the main baffle/ support that runs through the center with spark arrestor and a second that went across the top that lead to the exit port. Both of which had tiny holes in them. The top one I ripped out and tossed. The main one I modified and turned into a H frame to open things up but still maintain the support and use of screen in certain situations. I took a die grinder to the main exhaust port and hogged it out as big as the deflector on the outside would allow about the size of a dime. Don't want to be melting down the chain brake ya know. I also added a second port smack dab in the middle of the front face between the mounting bolts using the exhaust nipple from the muffler of a Stihl MM55 tiller that was laying around the shop. Its nice as it is angled and allowed me to aim it in a desirable direction and doesn't stick out far enough to be a hindrance when cutting. Starts much easier, sounds better, and the torque is like night and day.

those super 25 were one tough little saw i have had a bunch over the years the only problem i have ever had besides the oiler on a few is the chrome flaking in the cylinder and scarring the piston/cylinder

That Sears best 3.3 just might be a Poulan Pro 335 with a chrome bore and thin rings, but you will have to check.[/QUOTEt

Turns out the Crapsman does not have the thin rings. Oh well still a decent saw full metal case and all. Still has the machining groves on piston.

That Sears best 3.3 just might be a Poulan Pro 335 with a chrome bore and thin rings, but you will have to check.[/QUOTEt

Turns out the Crapsman does not have the thin rings. Oh well still a decent saw full metal case and all. Still has the machining groves on piston.

Nope, not a big deal, still a very good saw.

I just find it interesting that some of the black Sears Best saws had the chrome bore thin rings and some had the thick ring aluminum bores...

It will like a muffler mod also.

Nope, not a big deal, still a very good saw.

I just find it interesting that some of the black Sears Best saws had the chrome bore thin rings and some had the thick ring aluminum bores...

It will like a muffler mod also.

It appears to have a chrome bore and a single thick ring. I could be wrong but that's how it appears the bore is very shiny like the majority of the cylinders I'm used to seeing. Seams strange that they would make non plated cylinders. Cant imagine they would hold up for long.:confused:

I second that those poulan 380 are junk and that my pile of junk saws is smaller then others on here and would be willing to take that off your hands as well.

I think there might be a few bigger and meaner cylinders / pistons that would fit the 2145. Atleast checkout if you can toss out the base gasket, gut the muff and retune the carb.

Yes I have learned this as well. I am wondering if these units were made after electrolux acquired Poulan, and why they seem to be so obscure?

This series of saw were Poulan designed, before the buyout. The series is not obscure, the Super 380 seems to be somewhat not seen as much. Pricing and availability might have something to do with it as like was said the 3750 is the same saw, just in green and was probably sold cheaper because when the Poulan Pro line was introduced in 88 or 89 it was introduced to be a dealer only line.

It appears to have a chrome bore and a single thick ring. I could be wrong but that's how it appears the bore is very shiny like the majority of the cylinders I'm used to seeing. Seams strange that they would make non plated cylinders. Cant imagine they would hold up for long.:confused:

Your imagining very wrong.

This series of saw were Poulan designed, before the buyout. The series is not obscure, the Super 380 seems to be somewhat not seen as much. Pricing and availability might have something to do with it as like was said the 3750 is the same saw, just in green and was probably sold cheaper because when the Poulan Pro line was introduced in 88 or 89 it was introduced to be a dealer only line.

Your imagining very wrong.
Good to know this saw did come from a local dealer that is no longer in business. So out of curiosity what other saws do not have plated cylinders? I typically work on Stihl mostly as I work for a dealer and no not a hardware store. We were at one time the largest dealer in the world. Dealing in many brands such as Husqvarna, Mcculloch, Poulan, Pioneer, Partner, Jonsered, Echo/John deere, Efco/John deere, Remington, Lombard, Olympyc, Oleo Mac, Jobu, Homelite, and possibly more. A regular chainsaw, whore house. However these other brands we no longer service much in the shop Due to parts availability. I do however work on lots of this stuff in my home shop and even so do not see much in the line of non plated cylinders other than the old cast iron lined macs.

Latest posts

Back