Look what found me, mod'd it, and running it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdmp22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Buddy called me about a chainsaw bar hanging out of a dumpster....he grabbed it, and called me....turned out to be the whole saw, flipped the switch, pulled the handle and it started.....made a cut and kept running.....

So of course I had to mod it.....

Echo CS-300....shaved the intake strap for more flow, took the muff to the shop and made a few changes.....

Waiting for the plastic to melt and will make a metal exhaust cover

Might even make a lovered air cleaner just for fun.....

pics or it didn't happen.....right?

here are the parts before

20131231_145837.jpg

20131231_145823.jpg

and here are the parts modded

20131231_150248.jpg

20131231_150825.jpg

20131231_150832.jpg

20131231_152107.jpg

and a final install of the muff

20131231_192320.jpg

Last edited:
The clones are so close, it's hard to tell sometimes. I'm still kicking myself for passing up a bunch of 6" Kurts for $75 each. Needed cleaned up, but I didn't have the $$$ at the time. :cry:

I should mention, when I pulled the air filter, the line from primer bulb to carb was rock hard and cracked, replaced that too as well as trimmed the limiters so it could actually run right.......

And, yes...its a little loud...the way they should be

The clones are so close, it's hard to tell sometimes. I'm still kicking myself for passing up a bunch of 6" Kurts for $75 each. Needed cleaned up, but I didn't have the $$$ at the time. :cry:

Agreed....its close enough to the kurt next to it to run them right next to each other....just made a spacer for the fixed jaw to come out to the same plane.....the height was within .001 so I didnt even bother grinding it

and next, time, go remortgage the house, car, pawn something....the rebuild kits are like 40 bucks for the kurts....they will even lend you the tap to chase the threads if you call and ask for it

I just scored a 6" kurt off ebay for 125 shipped, disassembled, took lots of parts to the surface grinder, bought all new bolts and thrust bearing kit and added some grease.....less then 200 in it and it works as good as the new ones I have paid 500 for.....

They were almost new, just had surface rust from storage. :cry:

I like our d688 Kurt's I thing we have 36 plus 5 carv local towers in the shop where I'm employed. We had a couple knock offs but they were too far off to match the Kurt's!

Yeah...this is a pretty old teco that matches.....not alot of them do....

Nothing matches a kurt for the money....the older glacerns and the newer orange vises are great....but spendy

Nice find. How did you split the muffler? I have a small pile of cs 310s that need muffler mods. Drilling and sanding out the cat takes too long....

I hadn't ever seen those before either. Looks like a better vise overall than a Kurt, and that's saying something.

Nice find. How did you split the muffler? I have a small pile of cs 310s that need muffler mods. Drilling and sanding out the cat takes too long....

This one did not have a cat....and conveniently had one screw holding the halves together....unscrew...then small screwdriver popped it....center fell out as its retained by center bolts....wish they were all that easy

Im on tapatalk....let me try pic upload

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388596345165.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388596345165.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I hadn't ever seen those before either. Looks like a better vise overall than a Kurt, and that's saying something.

I think it is....turns out...all jaws are changeable and you can even fix front jaw and make back moveable....all reapeatable by atleast .0005 with some reference to .00005...but that seems a little impossible with dowels....but half a thou is good enough for anything I ever mill....if it needs tighter than that, it goes to the grinder.....

Heres a good thread on them

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=257254

I agree, except that to me, anything tighter than a thou should go on a grinder. I miss the ID/OD grinder and jig grinder from the first shop I worked in. :( Only have a surface grinder where I work now, and some toolpost grinders.

Latest posts

Back