Look What The Cat Drug In...New MS271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Reaction score
Was talking with a buddy of mine at work the other day, he's got a friend that wanted to sell a saw. Didn't hear back from him for a couple of days and he said the guy had a new Stihl he wanted to sell. Ended up a brand new MS271 Wood Boss with 20" B&C that ain't never seen the first piece of wood. He ran it long enough to let it sit and idle several times. Along with the saw came 5 bottles of HP Ultra mix, scrench, two scabbards, Woodland Stihl case, extra brand new 26 RS 81 chain, and the dealer receipt for the transaction. Only question I had was how much. He said $400 cash...I said hold that thought for 10 mins, let me hit the ATM. Didn't entertain no further questions, nothing. Paid the man his money he asked for, loaded up, shot the **** for another minute, set sail. Got a new home in my shop now...you CAD fools think you've got me hooked...after another half dozen saws...you got another thing coming, or I'll need rehab one. You dogs, Lol.
d23b878981b0cd667e246905969cccb6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I like how you have your storage shelf on the left all organized and stuff. I do the same.

But, I'd never tell ya that. I don't want you to think that we have something in common.
You ass...how ya been doing? Hope everything's been going good for ya. The shop ain't near complete, many things to add shelving wise, it never ends. If I took a pic of the right hand shop in front of that roll up door, with the 4-wheelers, welders, generators, etc, etc...you guys would bust my ass and tell me...get that **** organized, Lol. I like to take pics on the left hand side.

I'll give the 20" bar a chance but I think I'll downgrade to an 18"...I don't think the 271 has enuff rear end to pull the 20. I may be wrong, but looking at a loss of cc, I think it's better suited for an 18. You folks thoughts who've been there, done that, are more than welcome. But I think the 18 is a heap better suit.

I used the fly RC back in the late 70's and early 80's. Flew gliders/sailplanes, old timers, Ugly Sticks etc.

...another shot of the 'I suck I'm sure saw deal'. I had my chance folks to get it all for 4 bills out the door. I gave the man what he asked for...Couldn't get it all in my truck quick enough after I brought him back the cash. I run across deals like this few and far btwn. It ain't about the sellers, it's whether or not my broke ass, more times than not, can even handle it when a good deal comes across. Got a decent deal I suppose, his receipt he gave me for warranty is about $525. If any problems with the saw, he'll take it back, not sure if their warranty is transferable only reason I say this. Ain't really worried about it...cranking saws, cold or hot, and running em ain't nary been no problem here. Being a new, never cut wood saw...might just qualify as a 'you suck' deal. But I am gonna invest, I think, in a 18" B&C and ditch the 20". I think you guys would agree it's a heap better with an 18 on it.
4de2299ebbcc3c4614d803714912d542.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

HAHA...funniest post in a while.
I agree four paws...I got a damn good laugh as well. I try to do what I can, when I can. I like to scrap and save, if I stand any chance to add to the shop arsenal. I wish I could afford the big boy saws that run rampant around here, I just can't do it right now. I like reading all the posts and threads of you guys bad ass saws, how y'all modify 'em, port en, otherwise. I gotta daughter with basketball scholarships coming up within the next yr...but it still costs out the rear end. My money, gets real tight, all the time with one income here. This saw purchase was my Christmas to me for this year. Now I gotta gear up for my daughter and her brother. Takes a single dad a few months to save for their treats. My saw buying days are over with this year. I know I ain't got no kickass stuff compared to most of you guys, but I cut wood and split it...I got what I got, nothing more, nothing less, lol. It's all good. If I hit the lottery, all my saw **** changes...immediately, LOL.,

i would go for the 18'' and use .050 gauge chain and bar, .050 chain is easier to find. These saws benefit from a muffler mod and the oil pumps don't really put out much oil.
The limiters on the carb are easy to fix also just need a pair of side cutters.

i would go for the 18'' and use .050 gauge chain and bar, .050 chain is easier to find. These saws benefit from a muffler mod and the oil pumps don't really put out much oil.
The limiters on the carb are easy to fix also just need a pair of side cutters.
This is the first bar I've ever had that runs .063 gauge...is this gauge more proprietary to Stihl to keep ya 'coming back for more' to them, or what? Every saw I've ever owned has had .050 gauge bars. No older than the saw is and never seen wood, I wonder if the original purchaser could have it swapped for an .050 gauge bar back at the dealer, since the saw/warranty is under his name. Is .063 gauge chain difficult to come by or only a few options out there to purchase from, and gets pricey?

the .325 .063 chains are standard on the smaller Stihls in my area
all the homeowner and farm and ranch models except the 391 are sold that way at all the dealers but they will usually change it up to a 3/8 .050 setup for $0.00 at time of purchase only
I doubt there is much different in feel or functionality on that saw though it is easier to have all your bars and chains be the same gauge and pitch for swap-ability.
DD

the .325 .063 chains are standard on the smaller Stihls in my area
all the homeowner and farm and ranch models except the 391 are sold that way at all the dealers but they will usually change it up to a 3/8 .050 setup for $0.00 at time of purchase only
I doubt there is much different in feel or functionality on that saw though it is easier to have all your bars and chains be the same gauge and pitch for swap-ability.
DD
Thanks for the response DD...I doubt the original owner even gave that two thoughts when he purchased it. To be honest with ya, not quite sure I would've either. I just figured everything, like my other saws, came 'stock' with .050 gauge bars...if ya wanted something else than .050, you had ask for it. This is the first Stihl saw I've personally owned. Other than this saw, I've got a couple of Huskys, an Echo, and a Craftsman. All those box store things, lol, are .050.

Thanks for the response DD...I doubt the original owner even gave that two thoughts when he purchased it. To be honest with ya, not quite sure I would've either. I just figured everything, like my other saws, came 'stock' with .050 gauge bars...if ya wanted something else than .050, you had ask for it. This is the first Stihl saw I've personally owned. Other than this saw, I've got a couple of Huskys, an Echo, and a Craftsman. All those box store things, lol, are .050.
if your going to use a 18'' i got the oregon bar and chain part numbers
180SLGD025 oregon pro lite
20BPX074G semi chisel 74 dl .325 .050
20LPX074G chisel 74dl .325 .050

if your going to use a 18'' i got the oregon bar and chain part numbers
180SLGD025 oregon pro lite
20BPX074G semi chisel 74 dl .325 .050
20LPX074G chisel 74dl .325 .050
Thanks Jake for the info. Much appreciated. I'm gonna see if the original buyer will take it back to the dealer, see if they can't swap the bar and chain, even the extra unused chain for .050 , and sprocket on the saw, first. If they don't do it, I'll put an 18" on it like you suggest, and put the 20" bar/.063 chains/sprocket up for the takings to you folks...all I'll ask for is shipping and $20...for a case of Bud Light, lol. I think that would be a fair deal for a new 20" Farm Boss bar, two new/never used chains in .063, and the sprocket.

Are your other saws 3/8 or .325?
If you are going to swap em its probably easiest if they all match, so check it out.
When you figure it all out the Stihl setup is worth more than the Oregon, the chains are pretty equal but Stihl bars are the gold standard.
in a capitalist pig moment I would straight up trade you a new Oregon setup for the Stihl stuff if the dealer wont hook you up and you feel like trading, keep in mind I would be getting the better end of the trade :)
DD

Back