Look What The Cat Drug In...New MS271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are your other saws 3/8 or .325?
If you are going to swap em its probably easiest if they all match, so check it out.
When you figure it all out the Stihl setup is worth more than the Oregon, the chains are pretty equal but Stihl bars are the gold standard.
in a capitalist pig moment I would straight up trade you a new Oregon setup for the Stihl stuff if the dealer wont hook you up and you feel like trading, keep in mind I would be getting the better end of the trade :)
DD
Yes, all my other saws are .325. I'll let ya know how it goes, actually just talked to the original buyer. He said he can take the saw back this afternoon after work and see what they'll do. I'll know something here in a few hours. And I ain't worried about no money difference, if I can help another CAD man...I'm all in. Lol. I'll let ya know something by this evening hopefully.

Congrats to op on a stout looking saw, l bet it runs great! I think .325/063 chain is great on this saw....smooth and good oiling. But maybe a 16" instead of a 20" will keep it nicely balanced. Stihl have Rollermatic E bars that are 'light' and really are light wieght making the saw feel better.

Gotta little chance to fire the 271 up...been grillin all day. Put the cold saw on full choke, pulled one time, and it grunted. Put the lever on run, pulled it a second time, saw fired right up. Got a damn good 'throaty' idle to it, unlike the Huskys I've got. Muff probably has a heap more to do with it than anything else. First Stihl I've personally owned, I think its gonna be a runner fellas. Original owner couldn't get by here quick enough to get the saw back to the dealer and try the 18" bar swap Fri. I'll know something Mon hopefully. I'm impressed as hell with the saws performance so far, runnin and settin, idling. It don't miss a beat.

lt will sit on the ground and not roll over like other sweedish saws.:) Does it have adjustable oiler underneath saw? Everyone round here only discuss pro models, but l bet a well serviced 271 could cut a LOT of wood!

no adjustable oiler on this saw but if serviced regularly it should cut a lot of wood.

Folks, I got to thinking and a little drankin a few weeks ago...back when I was going to use the new 271 the following wknd...my brother had every bit of the hickory, red oak, etc already cut to 16" rounds. The 271 saw zero action, and it has stayed that way for lack of anything to cut. I'd crank it, let it idle and run with the other saws, etc. Got back with the guy I bought the saw from, asked him if he'd take it back and swap for a 291. I told him who to talk to at the saw shop...he said absolutely bring it back if it hasn't cut any wood. 2-yr warranty transferred right over to the swap, everything remains in effect. Shop wanted a $20 bill and the new 271 to make it turn into a new 291. Power head swap is all it boiled downed to. Take it all day long for a $20 bill.
image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back