Lookie Lookie what I found at work!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the drive system is only on one side of the carrage. I haven't had any problem's out of it as far as racking or binding. I'm running V-groove wheels on 1" angle iron to carry the carrage so it would probably be hard to bind it up even if it did rack a little. I need to rig up a second hyraulic system for the bed to handle log's. It shouldn't take a very big pump if my figures are right.
I've never seen a VW engine cut in half, but I have seen them run on 2 cylinders and using the other 2 for an air compressor. It was amazing how well it worked.

Andy

Lookie

I had a hydraulics shop and steel fabrication business doing this kind of work. If I were you (I don't get that lucky ever) I would power it with a gasoline motor of about double the killowats as the electric one on it now. But if you widen the cut to say double than you can expect to double the power requirement. Stay with the hydraulic drive to all components because that will provide stop/go and pressure relief, saving the need for slip clutches, which always get messy to design, thereby making the thing a bit more idiot proof.
One word of advice learned the hard way. Use generously large hydraulic hoses on equipment intended to run continuously, as this is.

Back