Lookin' Down on the Lightnin' Bugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireaxman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Gotta share this. Climbed a 100 foot loblolly to a crotch at about 85 feet this evening just to watch the sunset. Sunset was great, toenail moon was just behind it, stayed up in the tree a little late. Started down a little after dark.

Got just below the canopy (about 50 feet) and stopped to be sure the tail of my rope was clear of a few small dead branches I had pruned in my ascent. Man, what a sight! We had some pretty good rain over the weekend and the lightning bugs were having an orgy! They were from ground level to about 20 feet, so the 3-D effect from 50 feet was incredible!

Anybody want to know why we do this?

What a great, natural "High"! Why does anyone need "Ecstasy" in a pill?

Thanks, Katrina, for sparing us a few loblollies.

Praise God for the Beauty of His Creation!

Great post Fireaxman. I'll have to try this in the summer when the lightning bugs are out up north here.

Good news from down South - Spring has Sprung, the grass has riz, here's where the lightnin' bugs is.

It's coming your way, if it hasn't already got there.

Bad news from down South - Summer (and 95% humidity and 100 degree heat and Hurricanes) is right around the corner. It was 96 degrees at my house last week. It's nearly midnight and the temp outside is still 75, and its that cool because we got a cool front Monday.

Spring is our lightnin' bug season, 'cause in summer its too hot fer most of um.

Fall, winter, spring I climb. Summer I fish for Redfish and stay close to the water, so I can stay wet (hurricanes notwithstanding). If you don't hear from me June, July, or August its because its too hot to snuggle up to a rope, a tree, or a chain saw.

Back