Looking at a truck opinions needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking at a truck to replace my current 1992 Dodge diesel dump. I want a Chevy 4500 but I might have found a better deal. I drove a truck tonight. It's a 2000 Ford f-450 4x4 6-speed. The truck has 93k miles. There isn't a mark on the body at all. It's a 1-owner and the maintenance has been kept up. The truck has a newer (fab shop built) dump bed 10 1/2 ft by 8ft. Truck also has a goose neck hook up. Tires are about 40%. The truck drove really nice. It started kind of slow does that mean it might need new glow plugs. The power was ok but no like I'm use to. I'm use to Cummins diesels. Dad has had 6 of them and I've had one. Tranny shifted fine it was just a little weird because again I'm not use to it. They are asking 14k for it. It's very nice. The guy said he had 5k in the bed. I offered 11k. He wouldn't take it. I wondering if I should offer more. What do you guys think a truck like this is worth? Again it was very nice as good as you can hope for with 93k miles.

Scott

14K sounds like a good deal too me. Offer him 13K. If I didn't know what he was asking and going by what you discript, I would say the truck is worth high teens, but with this ecomony who knows.
I wouldn't think nothing about getting a Ford. I would stay away from the 6.0 Fords though. But 2000 should have the 7.3 which is a good motor.
When you say it was slow to start. Did you mean you have to crank it alot or did it just turn over slow. If you have to crank it alot then it could be glow plugs, but if it turned over slow than it could be the batteries.
Try pluging it in and see if it's easier to start.
Sounds like it's going to need tires soon. I think 19.5 inch tires are expensive so be prepare for it.

depending on the tempature slow to fire could be excessive blowby if its not the glow plugs, if it was above 10 degrees out i`d beware of the engine, remember diesels fire from compression alone the glow plugs just warm the upper cylinder area so its easier to fire over initially, and no light duty diesel (yes a one ton is still light duty) shouldn`t have any problem firing till it gets really cold outside.

93K on PSD (7.3) is nothing. I can't imagine blow by. Probably battery, starter, glow plugs or glowplug relay. All of these are doable yourself.
I have a 95 PSD with 240,000 miles and runs good. I need to replace the relay on mine so I have been plugging it in lately to start it.
If the maintenance has been maintained properly I would have no fear of the truck.

I'm sure it needs glow plugs. Very common on PSD's. Pretty easy to check. They will get REAL hard to start without all 8 glowplugs functioning.

The truck fires right off when it's plugged in. I really want the truck but I've always been around cummins engines. I know the powerstroke is a good engine but it just scares me cause it's different.

Scott

I have a "99 4x4 450 powerstroke auto trans that I got for $8500 with 50,000 miles on it.(with a 12' dump and plow) Now, it was not in great shape but it has been a good truck. My brother bought a "97 3500 cummins. Some differences you will notice are the fords turning radius stinks, powerstrokes do not get the mileage that cummins do, I get about 7-8 mpg mostly city driving with the chip box pulling the chipper. Powerstrokes do not have the low end torque that the cummins do. Now, I am not saying they are bad trucks I am just trying to tell you what some of the differences are. I would also say install some gauges and a good chip to increase the power I waited a year to do it on mine and I should have done it right away. If you are going to need tires look into retreads that is what I got.

When I got my first powerstroke, I knew I was in trouble when I opened the hood & started looking for the injector pump. It wasn't there.:laugh:
I personally prefer the Cummins 10 to 1 over the Powerstroke, but that's not saying I wouldn't buy a Ford if the price was really right.

Now if you could find a Ford that someone had put a 12 valve Cummins in, then you'd have a truck.

Andy

When I got my first powerstroke, I knew I was in trouble when I opened the hood & started looking for the injector pump. It wasn't there.:laugh:
I personally prefer the Cummins 10 to 1 over the Powerstroke, but that's not saying I wouldn't buy a Ford if the price was really right.

Now if you could find a Ford that someone had put a 12 valve Cummins in, then you'd have a truck.

Andy

On another site I frequent, a guy has a Ford with a Cummins in it.
I have always been a Ford guy and currently own a PSD, but honestly, that Cummins is a great engine and if I could have afforded it, I would have got the Dodge.

On another site I frequent, a guy has a Ford with a Cummins in it.
I have always been a Ford guy and currently own a PSD, but honestly, that Cummins is a great engine and if I could have afforded it, I would have got the Dodge.

My buddy's son put a Cummins in his 02 Ford. That thing is a hoss, best of both world's.

Andy

Latest posts

Back