Looking back at 2010

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Cantolina

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Let's see some pics of 2010 only.

attachment.php

It was a white oak about 32". The limbs were unusually brittle for all the longer it had been dead.

attachment.php

It was a white oak about 32". The limbs were unusually brittle for all the longer it had been dead.

attachment.php

Hey Mike nice pics! What kinda tree is the one beside that one was taken down (white oak) and is that one healthy? Kinda looks like some canker goin on. I love those types of cranes. What is that a 25 ton?doesn't look like he's got too much stick. how much per hour? if you don't mind me asking. You don't have to reply to that.

Last edited:
The other tree is white oak also. Yes, it's still alive. I can't get over how brittle the one I took down was though.

I guess it depends on how fast they die. I guess. Red Oaks are real dangerous cuz the top and butt will look sound but the root ball will rot first causing the whole tree to come over. Have caused several fatalities.

Did you do anything with the red oak logs Blakes?

The job shown in the first pic yielded 3 very nice logs at 12, 14, and 16 foot. I gave them to my father as he has a nice little Hudson mill. He's VERY hobby oriented with his milling so I wouldn't even dream of charging him for logs. I'd rather give them to him so he can play around and do something creative than sell them for a few hundo's. That monster oak in the third pic had nothing worth salvaging other than 8 loads of firewood. lol

The job shown in the first pic yielded 3 very nice logs at 12, 14, and 16 foot. I gave them to my father as he has a nice little Hudson mill. He's VERY hobby oriented with his milling so I wouldn't even dream of charging him for logs. I'd rather give them to him so he can play around and do something creative than sell them for a few hundo's. That monster oak in the third pic had nothing worth salvaging other than 8 loads of firewood. lol

That's great. I just like to see them being used rather than going to waste. That's one of the reasons I bought a band mill. The circular mills here just don't want them. (yard trees)

Those wires looked like a fun time, Mike. lol

Yeah, even with the grcs, I still put a spider leg on the longest one over the service drop.

The road caused me more grief than the wires though. When I bid it there was snow covering everything and I didn't realize how much it hung over the road.

Still did ok though.

That's great. I just like to see them being used rather than going to waste. That's one of the reasons I bought a band mill. The circular mills here just don't want them. (yard trees)

What kinda mill you got, Mike? I don't really have the patience for that stuff but my father made a lot of board and batton for my bro's porch outta wood we cut from our property in the past few years. He's also making some real tight ass tongue and groove flooring for his place from logs we've given him over time. I really like seeing the "waste" from our line of work being turned into something useful, but lie I said, don't have the patience for it myself.

Yeah, even with the grcs, I still put a spider leg on the longest one over the service drop.

The road caused me more grief than the wires though. When I bid it there was snow covering everything and I didn't realize how much it hung over the road.

Still did ok though.

Don't tell ol'dirty you used a spider leg, lol. Here's a pic from yesterday's brief encounter with working man status. You can't really see much but it was the first job I've done since the acquisition of the GRCS. The cherry butt I left stand at about 35 feet with a 70 degree lean away from the LZ. Winched it right over, it was beautiful. Also used the GRCS to pull a large top from the same cherry out of the creek. Much easier than cutting and tossing. The Milwaukee "Hole Hog" right angle is on my list though.

attachment.php

I have a Norwood Lumbermate 2000. It's all manual but it works good. I've only had it about a year so I'm still making mods to make things easier. My Dad has done lots of sawing so I'm learning lots from him.

I use to be short on patience too but not so much anymore.

Latest posts

Back