Looking for a Canadian Stihl dealer who is willing to ship a MS261CM VW (Arctic) to the US.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgr1971

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Canadian Stihl dealer that is willing or interested in shipping a MS261 CM verison 2 with an Arctic package to the us. Can anyone reccommend a good dealer? Thank you

When I acquired my MS-261 C-M, I asked if it was available in the arctic model?

I was given these:

chainsaw-gloves-dynamic-p3054-6993_zoom.jpg

Lol. I'm having a lot of trouble with my fingers in the cold the last couple of years. I do a lot of brush cutting for my beagle club and I will run several tanks of fuel without ever putting the saw down. It's nonstop cutting, one tree after the next for 3-4 hours. My fingers are going numb and hurt like someone hit me in the fingers with a hammer when the temps get below freezing. I'm hoping the heated handles and the better AV system on a new saw will help.

Stihl Canada has them listed for $729.95 here,

http://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Chain-saws-and-pole-pruners/0130/Gas-chain-saws-for-forestry.aspx

That works out to $555 US dollars unless I'm missing something?

Depending on where you find someone there is going to be roughly 13% tax on top of the price so it works out to be about $625USD depending on exchange rates at the moment. I don't think any dealer will ship them directly to the U.S. I know mine won't. He's fine with selling them to me but I have to take the box to the post office and mail it off. How much that service is worth would probably depend on how well you knew the person of if they were trying to profit. It's probably worth at least the bar and chain whish would be another reason why these deals are usually PHO. Is it worth $175USD as one member here is asking, I would have to really dislike you to try and make that much off of you. The price of $749 shipped in the link above probably isn't too far off.

I have considered the warranty situation. I also have the option of buying a Husky 550XPG which is available here in the US at a slightly cheaper price. If the cost differential is too much for the Stihl, I might be pushed in to the Husky. Or I have to settle for non heated handles.

I have a couple concerns on buying the 550XPG. The way I cut, I am not just full throttle chunking up a tree for cordwood. We cut in two man teams, one pusher and one saw guy. Most of the trees are relatively small and I cut them partially through far enough that the guy pushing can push them over where we want them to fall. Once they are down, I finish the cut. I am on the saw partial throttle a lot and quite often just blip it. I am concerned with the rev boost feature, I don't want a peaky or touchy acceleration curve or over acceleration. If I accidentally cut all the way through the tree while the other guy is pushing, the bottom of the tree kicks away and the tree comes down on top of us instead of hinging over at the cut. I am also concerned with any sluggishness or hesitation on the throttle. I need a smooth, consistent, predictable throttle that I can modulate.

The current saws I use are either a Husky 55 with a 18" bar or a Stihl 028 Super AV also with a 18" bar. They both work well for our purposes. It's just time for something with better AV and I'm hoping the heated handle will help my hands.

Sadly no, Stihl doesn't sell the Arctic models here anymore. The more I read and talk to people, the more it looks like we will be buying the Husky.

Not saying there's anything wrong with your saws but I suspect the 550xpg will work better than either of the saws you are currently using.

Lol. I'm having a lot of trouble with my fingers in the cold the last couple of years. I do a lot of brush cutting for my beagle club and I will run several tanks of fuel without ever putting the saw down. It's nonstop cutting, one tree after the next for 3-4 hours. My fingers are going numb and hurt like someone hit me in the fingers with a hammer when the temps get below freezing. I'm hoping the heated handles and the better AV system on a new saw will help.
Don't know where my earlier reply to you disappeared off to - so I'll try again here..
Consider if your hands are getting cold and unusable when cold (I can relate from carpal tunnel) in looking for some electric gloves which are battery powered. My son got a Milwaukee work jacket from Home Depot here, and loves it and I saw that they also make heated gloves..as probably do many other work wear mfgrs. like Dewalt, Bosch, etc..
Maybe a cheaper alternative to trying to get a 261 Arctic model with the associated cost and troubles, as well as having something that could help your cold hands when doing other jobs outside as well, to keeping those pinkies warm and toasty..
Most 2 stroke things as well as snowblowers etc. with heated grips never work as well as expected - but maybe the gloves would check out well for you. Just a suggestion - Randy

Latest posts

Back