Looking For A Dump Trailer in Michigan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppermancjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi All,

Considering a dump trailer and wondering if any of you Michigan guys has any idea of where I should look for one. There's some places locally that I could get one. I got some quotes for brand new ones today but I'm not opposed to a decent used unit. I'm torn between something that can do some serious damage and something that I could still pull behind my 4 wheeler. I can get a 4 1/2 x 8' single axle Sure Trac for a little under $2,000. It only has a capacity of 3,000 lbs including the weight of the trailer so I could really only carry about a half cord. To boot, it only has 12" sides. The next step up is a tandem axle rated for 7,000 lbs for about $3600. That's much more serious but more than I'm looking to spend and it's doubtful that the 4 wheeler could handle it.

I've been on CL for a while. Nothing spectacular that jumps out at me. Saw one that looked ok but was definitely a custom build and he wanted way too much for it.

I'm located at the base of the Thumb in Vassar. Not opposed to a bit of a drive if I can save some money.

Going to have to be a pretty small dump trailer if you plan on pulling it with a 4 wheeler or you'll be 4 wheeler shopping real soon too. Bit more info will help the Mi guys.
Truck size? Distance to haul? How much wood do you need to haul? Realistically if you only need firewood for your own use and don't have property or a truck you would be far better to just get a tri axle load dropped off at your house. I've had a big dump trailer for 2 years and I've only used it a couple of times.

I bought my dump trailer 6 or 7 years ago and it's been one the best investments I ever made. I priced all of the different makes in my area and settled on the Pequea. It's an eight foot single axle. All of the other makes in the same size and price range were "MUCH" lighter than this one. The other makes might make heavier models that would be comparable but they were much more expensive. This one has heavier diamond plate fenders you can stand on, the others stamped tin. It has heavy steps to stand on, others nothing. It has a drive on ramp that will hold my Bro in laws Kubota FEL, the others had stamped tin tail gates. most of the others were 3,500 GVW, this one is 5,000. Mine has brakes, the others didn't. I have been very happy with this one, Joe.

Thanks for the input guys. I called Holland Supply. That trailer sure looks hefty but it also comes with a hefty price tag... $7000!! More than I'm wanting to spend.

I have over 80 acres of hard woods to cut from so there's no way in hell I'm paying for a semi load of wood to get delivered.

Was talking to my buddy last night and figure maybe I should just not worry about fitting the trailer through the woods and make the woods fit around the trailer! We have access to the right equipment to do some damage... The other nice part is that there is field an power lines around the edge of the property which gives nice access in the fall when the field is empty. Between my buddy and I we burn a fair amount of wood plus I sell a lot as well so I'm confident the trailer would get good use. I'm just having to come to grips with the sticker shock. $3600 for the tandem axle Sure Trac I found yesterday is affordable but I don't necessarily want to afford it right now...

I bought my dump trailer 6 or 7 years ago and it's been one the best investments I ever made. I priced all of the different makes in my area and settled on the Pequea. It's an eight foot single axle. All of the other makes in the same size and price range were "MUCH" lighter than this one. The other makes might make heavier models that would be comparable but they were much more expensive. This one has heavier diamond plate fenders you can stand on, the others stamped tin. It has heavy steps to stand on, others nothing. It has a drive on ramp that will hold my Bro in laws Kubota FEL, the others had stamped tin tail gates. most of the others were 3,500 GVW, this one is 5,000. Mine has brakes, the others didn't. I have been very happy with this one, Joe.

Found out that there is a Pequea dealer right nearby. They don't stock them but can still order them. Waiting for a call back with numbers from them.

I wish this place had a trailer I could see in person before making a decision but they don't stock them. This is the link to the Sure-Trac I am considering. Looks pretty decent to me.

Sure Trac |

I have 40 acres around my house that I cut from, right out my back door. I never use the trailer for wood cutting. I have a gator with a hydraulic dump that dors all the wood hauling.

With it I am able to go places where a truck and dump trailer can't go.

Just keep looking, and have cash in your hand. I sold my 12' for $4500, and I was a firm price seller. The buyer wanted a trailer bad and knew that was still a great price to pay. I bought a 14' with a better gate, power down, and tarp for $4700 and I had to wheel and deal and break out nice 100 dolla bills to get the job done. If you can't find one locally, start checking Indiana, they manufacture them there and seem to have way better prices for both new and used trailers. Just over the border on the West side I have bought and couple and saved 1000's. If I had more time I would drive down once a month and pick one up and bring it up here and resell it.

Last edited:
Just keep looking, and have cash in your hand. I sold my 12' for $4500, and I was a firm price seller. The buyer wanted a trailer bad and knew that was still a great price to pay. I bought a 14' with a better gate, power down, and tarp for $4700 and I had to wheel and deal and break out nice 100 dolla bills to get the job done. If you can't find one locally, start checking Indiana, they manufacture them there and seem to have way better prices for both new and used trailers. Just over the border on the West side I have bought and couple and saved 1000's. If I had more time I would drive down once a month and pick one up and bring it up here and resell it.

You aren't kidding... I found some in Ohio just South of Dayton. A nice heavy unit selling there for $4200 and I'm getting prices for a similar trailer up here for closer to $6000! It does make it kind of tempting to make the drive down and re sell like you are thinking.....

You might want to try Beck's in St. Johns. I was there a few days ago and they had a pretty good selection.

I bought a Quality Steel 12' tandem axel trailer this past winter. It's been by far the best investment I've made.

Got a steal though, paid $3K for it and it was hardly used prior to me.

I've easily tripled my wood intake ability this year.

That said, if I lived on property where I had 40 acres or so to cut from, I'd get a solid trailer or log arch that is made for a 4 wheeler and use that.

they make some pretty spiffy ones for off road use.

Honestly, if I had a setup like that I'd take my log splitter out into the woods and trailer the split wood back.

If you're not going on the road then I would just buy an old farm hay wagon and have at her. I have one with 3' uprights for hauling logs and it works good. I also have a little one for behind my Steiner. I also have one with highway tires on it too. I might have too many trailers.

And if you go east over the other border, that trailer is 6000 new.
I'm on a little trip today with a roll of brown ones (100's) to see if I can get lower.
Maybe I should be driving there too and piggy back two at a time.

You better find some Green ones with Mr. Franklin on them, that looney money aint no good over here! :msp_biggrin:

they trade them even steven...:msp_biggrin:

best deal was 6g's all txs in, includes 2x12 ash side board, hidden hitch with load leveller, brake controller, and 7 prong plug plug.
My mechanic said 2 hour @60/hr for install.

Last edited:

Just about bang on what I'm looking for, getting stuff across the border is ezpz. The 14 hour drive is the big thing..
Somethings you guys may know about about dump trailers that I've just been privy too.

3500 lb axles or 7000lb trailer just will not hold up putting wood in. Local guy said 4 years and Ill bend axles. A green cord of hickory was weighed at 6300lbs this summer plus 3000lb for the weight of the trailer. My dry wood is still 4000+/cd.
Also a 6 by 10 foot trailer will not hold a full cubic cord (180cuft)thrown in,without extra side walls built and heaped near the front because the tail gate will be lower.I refuse to stack every load or haul less than a cord.
Apparently loading the front of a trailer throws the weight on your tongue, putting more stress in your bumper and can cause the trailer to not steer straight.

So here I am at a 6x12,5200lb tandem with the 20 inch sidewalls and a 12" wood side board to have a nice even load that the tarp will cover properly.

Just about bang on what I'm looking for, getting stuff across the border is ezpz. The 14 hour drive is the big thing..
Somethings you guys may know about about dump trailers that I've just been privy too.

3500 lb axles or 7000lb trailer just will not hold up putting wood in. Local guy said 4 years and Ill bend axles. A green cord of hickory was weighed at 6300lbs this summer plus 3000lb for the weight of the trailer. My dry wood is still 4000+/cd.
Also a 6 by 10 foot trailer will not hold a full cubic cord (180cuft)thrown in,without extra side walls built and heaped near the front because the tail gate will be lower.I refuse to stack every load or haul less than a cord.

Am I missing something in the math? A full cord in CF is 128CF, 4X4X8. My single axle 8' dump has a right good load on it with a stacked cord of Oak. Well, it doesn't matter if it's stacked or thrown, it just fits easier stacked. It would push my Dodge 1500 around till I put the brake controller in. Yes, wood is a lot heavier than most folks think, Joe.

Latest posts

Back