Looking for a flywheel key

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sachsmo

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
McMaster-Carr

Don't run your saw without the key. There is quite a bit of force on them. Why do you think they shear in the first place?

The one you are looking for is 3mm wide X 3.7mm tall. They come in bags of 25, so a bag should last a lifetime (these fit many Euro saws)

I could not find this size at any hardware store locally.

sachsmo

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good for you,

A sheared key along with the slippage on the crank (resulting in timing error) is one of the hardest things to troubleshoot.

If there is compression, spark, and fuel, the key is always where we go to next.

a. palmer jr.
Good for you,

A sheared key along with the slippage on the crank (resulting in timing error) is one of the hardest things to troubleshoot.

If there is compression, spark, and fuel, the key is always where we go to next.

But that doesn't always produce an answer as I recently found out. I still haven't figured out my Stihl 041, it has all of the above plus the key is okay. Still hasn't hit a lick.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Was looking on the internet for a flywheel key to fit a 298 husqvarna . Really rare to have one break . Finding one seems about that rare too if anyone can find one . This would be the place to ask

The key is for alignment only. The taper mating surface is what provides the "holding". The crankshaft and flywheel mating surfaces need to be smooth and grease free in order to work properly. Make sure that there is no steel from the sheared key smeared onto the surfaces. Use ether or acetone to degrease mating surfaces.

sachsmo

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
The key is for alignment only. The taper mating surface is what provides the "holding". The crankshaft and flywheel mating surfaces need to be smooth and grease free in order to work properly. Make sure that there is no steel from the sheared key smeared onto the surfaces. Use ether or acetone to degrease mating surfaces.

yup,

been known to run 'em without keys to play with advance.

But if you are just putzin' around with the bigger saws, them big wheels will slip

Latest posts