Looking for a good used stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rifleman99

rifleman99

ArboristSite Lurker
Hello all, I'm new to the site and I wanted to get some opinions on my upgrade. I usually use the saw for firewood, which includes taking down some pretty big hardwoods. My current saw is a husky 142 w/ an 18 inch bar. Nice little saw, but it seems underpowered for what I'm doing. I'm looking to cross over to the dark side and go with a stihl.
My neighbor has a 361 and he is looking to add another saw to his collection. He had recommended looking at the 026/260 b/c it is in the professional line. Is there that big of a difference between the midrange and the pro? I only ask this b/c I have seen a lot of 029/290, 310, and 390 for sale. Oh, and the other catch is i'm looking to buy a used one as well (i would like to go new but with a little one on the way the budget is a bit limited). How much is two much for a some of the saws listed ?
Thanks in advance

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Where about in South east Michigan are you, If close enough come on down and try mine out. I live near Angola right in the north east corner of Indiana. It's a 310, it isn't a bad saw but some will say it's terrible and you should run. But keep in mind they more and likely haven't ran one. A good friend of mine has a 361, we are swappers, of saws that is.:) I think the 361 is a great saw nimble and not alot of vibs compared to the mid grade Stihls, as for power difference there really doesn't seem to be that great of a difference. We would race through some red elms about 16" dia. He would get me by a sec or two. For me it was about cost at the time and the 310 is fine I've manage to cut 19 cord from around Jan to May with it, it still runs good. Some will also have you believe the pro is easier to rebuild and then it can be done right on the tail gate, this might be true but whens the last time someone has really done that, from what I've seen and read on here, the first time someone has trouble the very first thing they do is consalt this forum and have pictures of what to do next, so that really blows the " I needed the pro model thats why I bought this saw so I can fix it in the field" BS. Anyhow if you can afford to buy the 361 do it you'll like it, if you can't the Mid grade saw is fine for firewood and less expensive. As for used price look on ebay that will give you an idea of what used saws are running:cheers: Let the beating begin:)

rifleman99

rifleman99

ArboristSite Lurker
Funny you say that about the pro line, my neighbor was saying the exact same thing: "They are much easier to rebuilt, built with better materials, and last a lot longer than the mid grade." Hence why I'm having the debate of going to the 260 (pro line) even though it is a bit smaller than everything else I was looking at ( 310,390, etc). I just want something that has the balls to go through some of the bigger stuff I have ran into lately, but also be able to hold up for a long time...

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Funny you say that about the pro line, my neighbor was saying the exact same thing: "They are much easier to rebuilt, built with better materials, and last a lot longer than the mid grade." Hence why I'm having the debate of going to the 260 (pro line) even though it is a bit smaller than everything else I was looking at ( 310,390, etc). I just want something that has the balls to go through some of the bigger stuff I have ran into lately, but also be able to hold up for a long time...

I'm not sure about the "they will last longer" If you are going to use this saw every fricken day maybe. If you are using this saw for a total of an honest 14days out of the year than that saw should last quite a while, I see people saying that there Craftsman saw is going on 20 years. Stihl built this saw for firewood, it is engineered for it. The 290-390 series will just plain outcut the 260 PRO, I say this with experience as for much of my firewood cutting in the past was done with a 260 pro. But you can't hold it out in front of you like a 260, I would rather have the 260 for lots of limbing, but I don't and the 310 has performed fine. Don't go smaller, thinking that because it says pro you would be getting a better performing saw. That is not the case at all.

rifleman99

rifleman99

ArboristSite Lurker
gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
I bought my 310 for 380.00 new with case and a extra chain. I don't know, depends on condition of course but I would guess 150-250 range would be acceptable. Mybe three if it was really clean. I think the 310 is around 420 now???

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Nice saw, but I really cant get to far above $300 :(
But thanks anyways :cry:

The best fire wood saw you can find in the Stihl lineup for your price range is the 044`s ,they are hard to wear out,can be rebuilt many times with new bearings ,seals ,pistons and rings . All the other parts are easy to find used and you should be able to keep one running until obsolete . Many of the 044`s I have fixed up have been bought for under$200.
and only need minor repair ,sometimes only a cleanup. They take a beating and come back for more and really like cutting hardwood. IMO Pioneerguy600

mattgatten

mattgatten

ArboristSite Operative
I've got my favorite used/new chainsaw auction page in my signature. Check it out. It's got all the Stihl, Husky, J-Red, and parts all filtered down. None of the crappy, fake listings. :)

Enjoy!

Jack_Shaft

Jack_Shaft

ArboristSite Operative
The guys on this site hate the homeowner saws, but I have built many of them from parts. MS290/310/390 are very popular up here and they are not just being used by Joe Fancypants. Real people hauling many logs and then sawing enough board-feet of lumber with an alaskan mill on a 290 or 390. Sounds ridiculous, but they do it year in and year out.

I do not find these saws so hard to work on. Then again I haven't found too many saws that are, other than the fuel system on the larger Dolmar chassis :censored:

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I've got my favorite used/new chainsaw auction page in my signature. Check it out. It's got all the Stihl, Husky, J-Red, and parts all filtered down. None of the crappy, fake listings. :)

Enjoy!

The problem I find with eBay is the prices are too high to make it a good place to get saws,better to find them elsewere and the shipping adds a lot to the total price. IMO
Pioneerguy600

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
The biggest I went through was 28", more of an average of 16-20".
16-20" is what I use my 365 (65cc 4.6HP) for and it works great. I would try to find something a least that size or larger, especially if you're going to cut larger wood then that. If it has to be a Stihl, a good used 044/MS440 might be just the ticket. I've never owned or even ran one, but you don't hear many bad things about them at all. I believe they are VERY good saws. I don't know if you could find a good used one for $300 or not. I'd give it a try though.

A MS310 or 039/MS390 would be another option.

Last edited:
mattgatten

mattgatten

ArboristSite Operative
I've done alright on there. I have some software that lets me avoid the bidding wars that I wrote. It watches a page of auctions in 'real time' every 15 seconds. Kinda like my own auction sniper. I just wait, wait, wait, click, pow. Got a good deal on my 026. Just have to do your research on the seller. Not only feedback but how many of that particular item does he sell. Lots of saws or only a couple of saws and a bunch of other crap. They guy I bought from seemed to specialize not only in saws or even Stihl's for that matter but 026's. He had 100% feedback over a couple thousand sales. :)

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I've done alright on there. I have some software that lets me avoid the bidding wars that I wrote. It watches a page of auctions in 'real time' every 15 seconds. Kinda like my own auction sniper. I just wait, wait, wait, click, pow. Got a good deal on my 026. Just have to do your research on the seller. Not only feedback but how many of that particular item does he sell. Lots of saws or only a couple of saws and a bunch of other crap. They guy I bought from seemed to specialize not only in saws or even Stihl's for that matter but 026's. He had 100% feedback over a couple thousand sales. :)

Way to go! Pioneerguy600

litefoot

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
For a good used Stihl firewood saw, I have to put in a plug for the 034. I picked one up from a yard sale about 2 years ago. Don't ask the price...you'll hate me. It gets used more than any other saw I own.

Latest posts