Looking for a Stihl,but which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev7274

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,
I am currently looking for a chain saw to replace the one I got from a big box store a few years ago. It wasn't anything special,but it did the job (sort of) that I needed it to do at the time. I have a few Stihl dealers in my area,so I can have one ordered or check to see if they have any used Stihl chainsaws in stock.

I'm not really sure as what would be considered too much or not enough for what I would use it for. I'm looking for something in the $300-$500 price range if possible.I may could do a little more if necessary.

I have been checking out some of the models and I see that they have models with Easy2Start. That would be a good thing to have,since I am dealing with a torn rotator cuff at the moment.

I mainly would be using it to cut some trees on the property that are around 4-10 inches in diameter. They range from oak,pine,hickory and cedar.

Let me know,so the shopping can begin.Thanks in advance.

My Dad used an ms 180 with the easy start for years. He was 90 or near 90 when he quit because of an injury. Even noodled his firewood with it. His worked great with easy start, not sure if the bigger models do as well with easy start. I expect the dealer would let you try them. I expect the 180 would struggle some in 10" hickory but get the job done.

With that amount of money get a Dolmar 421(~350$). Built like a pro saw, runs like one size up, easy start included,... To be honest I see it as the only chainsaw a homeowner / entry level firewooder will ever need! With a quality chain you play with the bigger boys!

My old Dad had an 'Easy Start" on his Stihl 251, I used it a couple of times and found that it was a good little saw that required minimal effort to
start. You don't need to put any rapid pulling in, just gently extract the starter cord until a spring(?) set up lets go and it turns over and starts.

Stick with Stihl, it'll be worth something when you're done with it.

Yeh, but with dolmar you won't want to get rid of it...

And to be honest, I see the times of great saws comming to an end. The pro models cost not much and the collection frenzy will not equate to Hobby models! The products from east asia are getting better every year and as soon as they begin making quality saws on a budget the major brands will have a more than serious problem! If we compare their development in the automobil industry, the two strokes are only a hop away!

See post #5, and get some serious bang for your buck, way beyond a homeowner stihl.

Seriously, try a PS-421. That'll close the deal. Don't take one person's word for anything.

U should get a 029 farm boss if u like a little more power then u would like the 310 stihl i have both they are good saws an your gonna get your money worth out of both saws :D

But for 400$ he can get a brand new echo 590 that will kick both (290&310) so hard into the .... they won't even know they are saws anymore...

But for 400$ he can get a brand new echo 590 that will kick both (290&310) so hard into the .... they won't even know they are saws anymore...

Echo sucks d i c k why u think they give u a 5 year warranty when u buy 1 :dizzy:

Sleeper about the only thing i agree with u on is the dolmar they are some bad ass saws not much respect where i live for them but i got 2 older ones i like them :bowdown:

I have a 180 and that thing is awesome. Have not found a small saw to come even close in comparison. When it dies I will cry. That being said for a bigger more powerful cut about everything you need to the Dolmar 421 is next on the must have list.

Echo sucks d i c k why u think they give u a 5 year warranty when u buy 1 :dizzy:

You an expert on sucking? :rolleyes:

From your childish comment, I can only guess you've not run one of the 59 cc Echos, reportedly designed by Shindaiwa. I had the pleasure to try a PS-600P Echo this past Sat. and can tell you that it makes all the homeowner Stihls look pathetic.

Anybody focused on saw warranty is an idiot, IMHO. Check out how short the coverage is on the big ($) Stihls. :ices_rofl:

Anybody write in English anymore?

posting.php

Latest posts

Back