Looking for advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctateusa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi its my first time posting here I just got registered, but I was doing some searching as I am getting ready to buy a new saw, my old craftsman just is not going to do what I need it to do anymore, last year I cut about 20 ricks of firewood, this year I am planning on cutting atleast 40 ricks. I am looking to upgrade to either a Stihl or a Husky(local dealer carries both of them) I plan on running either an 18 or 20in bar on it, my buddy that cuts with me just picked up a new ms250 and it cuts so much better than my craftsman(and his doesnt die every time you get through a chunk of wood). So what I am looking for is a recommendation for either of those two brands. The biggest tree I will probably ever cut is 2 ft diameter red/white oak and some walnut or hickory.

I am considering moving up some from his ms250 just from what I have read on here of some of the problems others have had with them. I would like to cut as long as possibly with the saw and have my craftsman as a back up or a limbing saw.

Thank you all in advance
Chris

Welcome, and you'll definately get advice here!

Both Stihl and Husqvarna make excellent products, anyone who says one is vastly superior to the other is just letting their brand loyalty outweigh their reason. I happen to prefer huskies, but it's just my preference.

What you really need to do is set your budget (before people start recomending saws that are in excess of it), and make sure that budget includes two spare loops of chain and good means to sharpen them.

While it is great advice to get a 50-60cc professional model saw as a buy once, cry once purchase, if it is beyond you budget, it is beyond your budget. For the annual cutting of firewood, the homeowner grade of saws from Stihl and Husky are likely to last a lifetime. Just keep the saw sharp and maintained and it will serve you well. If you can afford a pro grade saw, by all means get one as they are built better and they have more power. Just don't get so carried away in the search for power that you get a saw that is so heavy that it wears you out before you are done cutting (says the guy who just got an 87cc saw to compliment his 81cc saw)

I'm personally leary of the new electronically controlled saws. It seems that quite of few of them have problems with the carburators functioning

I want something that isnt too heavy so it doesnt wear me out too quickly. I will usually be out cutting for 4-8 hours at a time, I cut 4 rick on saturday(would have been closer to 5 if it hadnt been for rocks and my stupid saw lol). I actually dont burn any wood, no fireplace in the house but I will keep some around for my firepit I built this summer. We actually sell all of it that we cut which is why I want to keep repair cost down, I would rather spend a little more money and buy the Toyota/Honda equivelant, than buy cheap and get the Yugo equivelant.

But my budget is probably 3-400 although knowing me I might just throw that out the window like I did on my exhaust for my truck.

I want something that isnt too heavy so it doesnt wear me out too quickly. I will usually be out cutting for 4-8 hours at a time, I cut 4 rick on saturday(would have been closer to 5 if it hadnt been for rocks and my stupid saw lol). I actually dont burn any wood, no fireplace in the house but I will keep some around for my firepit I built this summer. We actually sell all of it that we cut which is why I want to keep repair cost down, I would rather spend a little more money and buy the Toyota/Honda equivelant, than buy cheap and get the Yugo equivelant.

But my budget is probably 3-400 although knowing me I might just throw that out the window like I did on my exhaust for my truck.

Hmmmm. I like your style. I drive a Tacoma, my wife drives a Pilot and I have a MS261.

:msp_thumbup:

Hmmmm. I like your style. I drive a Tacoma, my wife drives a Pilot and I have a MS261.

:msp_thumbup:

Im on my second Tundra, totaled the 1st one after hauling firewood one day just before christmas. wife has a scion tc, and I fix(aka service) hondas. Love the pilot except the gas mileage.:rock:

Well, I'm assuming were talking "new" saw...I have never bought a "new" saw, so I'm sure the price tag would scare me!
After selling 3 saws, I'm down to two, my 064 and 066. I find I grab the 064 the most, I love the power, but also it's much lighter than it's close...twin!?:msp_biggrin:
You don't burn, but your getting alot of wood, I personally would think the 044, versatile on bar length, power and easy to find parts, if your a "hands on guy"?
If you are talking new...
A. Don't know about Husky(I'm sure there great)
B. It's really up to you, only you know what you need to do with it?
What ever you settle on, I'm sure it will work fine.

My personal recommendation would also be a MS261. However, if your budget is $300-$400, then that will not fit. That is, if you are for sure going to buy new.

Last edited:
there are a couple of really good options out there. Are you married to the Dealer or would you considered used? You never gave us a budget to go by...???????????????

the Dolmar and Makita 6400/6401's are really nice for 20in bars and can run a 24in too if you want them too. You can also upgrade cylinders to a 84cc kit if you ever need to. This one might be a little big though.

If you will consider used I would look at a 036/360 Stihl. 60cc and will run a 18-20in bar easily, and they are about the same weight as current Pro 60cc saws ($300-$350in good used condition). Stihl 261's are nice but they are also pricey!

If you are looking to cut that much wood you're looking for a Pro (not homeowern, ranch, or farmer series) 50-60cc saw. The Pro saws will have a better power to weight ratio and usually have better air filtration.

You could up your budget just a bit and get a husqvarna 545.

400$ would probably get you a fairly nice used ms440 or 372xp, if you were a little lucky.

Im on my second Tundra, totaled the 1st one after hauling firewood one day just before christmas. wife has a scion tc, and I fix(aka service) hondas. Love the pilot except the gas mileage.:rock:

I drive a 03 Rav4 2wd and get 26-27mpg when I stay out of it and not towing. They can haul a decent load with that little 2.0-2.4L engine! If I need to haul wood I have a 88 F250 4x4 300-I6 for that!

Good to see other yota fans on here!

Buying a saw, as with many purchases, is a compromise. The best saw for 10" wood isn't necessarily the best saw for 24" wood.

A quality 50cc saw is a good starting point. It will excel in limbing and smaller bucking. 16-18" bar max when buried in hardwoods. Most will run .325 pitch chain.

A quality 60cc saw has a sweet spot around 20". You can bury it in hardwoods and it will do a much better job keeping its speed while running the 3/8 pitch chain. In 24" wood, I'd much rather run a 361/362/562XP than a 50cc saw.

The 60cc saws and especially the 70+cc saws will easily outperform 50cc saws in larger bucking, making stumps, and noodling.

If you plan on making a regular habit of cutting firewood, I'd buy that quality 50cc saw and then add a 70cc saw when you realize that you need some more muscle for large wood and you want to get the job done faster. This is the CLASSIC FIREWOOD 2-SAW PLAN that pretty much removes the compromise of owning only one saw.

I am thinking about new, would like to buy from my local dealer I just ran in there and talked to the service tech, I didnt actually get to talk to a salesman, he was busy helping others at the time. The tech liked both the stihl and the husky he just thought the husky was easier to work on though.

I am really only thinking about new because I would like to get a couple of years out of the saw without having to work on it, I dont want to drop 2-300 on a used saw that needs money put in to it to make it reliable. Plus I like the idea of getting a 2 year warrenty on the stihl and whatever huskys warrenty is.

I mainly just wanted to see what you guys that have more experience with the saws came up with compared to what I could think of.

What would the newer version of the 044 be?

I can buy the ms 250 for 329.00
and the ms 261 559.00
at my local dealer.

there are a couple of really good options out there. Are you married to the Dealer or would you considered used? You never gave us a budget to go by...???????????????

the Dolmar and Makita 6400/6401's are really nice for 20in bars and can run a 24in too if you want them too. You can also upgrade cylinders to a 84cc kit if you ever need to. This one might be a little big though.

If you will consider used I would look at a 036/360 Stihl. 60cc and will run a 18-20in bar easily, and they are about the same weight as current Pro 60cc saws ($300-$350in good used condition). Stihl 261's are nice but they are also pricey!

If you are looking to cut that much wood you're looking for a Pro (not homeowern, ranch, or farmer series) 50-60cc saw. The Pro saws will have a better power to weight ratio and usually have better air filtration.

I did give a budget just not in my first post, but it is about 3-400

Since this is a money making saw I'd go for a new saw. If you loose a day or two of cutting dealing with a used saw, you've more than lost the money that would have paid for a new saw. If you're planning on doing this for a few years I'd go with a pro 60cc saw w/ a 20" bar. That's 20% more power than a 50cc and essentially the same weight. It'll blow your budget, but when it comes to a tool that is going to make you money, don't scrimp.

I can't see going with a 50 and 70cc saw unless your running saws 5-6 days a week, or you've been smitten with CAD :msp_scared:

Back