Looking for advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hull

Reaction score
I live in El Paso Tx, Planted this Bradford Pear tree about 7 years ago, no issues the first 4 years. Last 3 years been having issues, hardly blooming in the spring, foliage green for about 2 weeks then yellow to brown no visible bugs or ants. Water 2-3 times per week with buried drip line. Local nursery where I bought it said needs iron, I did iron treatments per instruction for a season, no change, last 2 seasons have added manure to soil for nutrients, no change. Several other trees, plants, shrubs, grass in the yard no issues. Thanks for any suggestions. 1000000760.jpg1000000762.jpg1000000756.jpg1000000761.jpg

Everyone around here is taking down their Bradfords for similar reasons. Beautiful trees until they start dying.

Is there something in the soil profile that causes a problem when the roots get down a certain depth eg a thick layer of limestone which they don't like.

My brother told me about an orchard of avocado (or citrus ?) where dozens of trees started dying back after they got to about 8-10 years old. IIRC it was when their roots started to hit a layer of impenetrable limestone under the top layer of red sandy soil.

Latest posts

Back