Looking for shade loving fast growing tall plant for privacy screening.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
12 years ago, I planted a series of trees grouped closely together (6'-8') to shade the west side of my home. I got the shade but in the process, while competing with each other, the trees (mulberry) grew straight up and left virtually no foilage from the ground to 8' up. This would be fine however, it provides little privacy from my next door neighbor.

I'm hoping to find something whether it be a bush, vine or small tree which is very fast growing, grows at least 6'-8' (don't need it taller), will tolerate little to no sun and provide a dense enough cover for good privacy.

Any ideas?

By the way. I do not want to alter my existing landscape to allow more sun to peek through.

1. If your mulberries are crowded, have you considered coppicing? If you cut some of them to the ground they may resprout and send up many little trunks.

2. Vines work. The fast-growing ones are usually invasive, so watch out. English ivy, etc turn hi-mtc once established. I like Smilax sp., Gelsemium, etc. Contact the ID ag extension folks for a local plant list.

3. Install fan trellises for immediate screen and also to train the vines on. Recommend you give the vines a head start in the sun, then train them up the trellises when you plant them.

4. "By the way. I do not want to alter my existing landscape to allow more sun to peek through."
Then you are sabotaging your goals. There are no fast growers that like dense shade. If you don't get an arborist or professional landscape designer on, you will not likely succeed.

Zone 6

Zone 6? I thought that anywhere in Idaho was just over the border from the Arctic Circle. Illicium parviflorum, Small Anise or Anise Tree a.k.a. Yellow Anise is rated to zone 6 and is the best Illicium for sun or shade. It can get as tall as 15' or more. Tolerates moist soils and does well in a dry situation. No pests or disease problems that I know of. Resembles Schip Laurel but with out the shothole and the scale. Good evergreen for massing as screen. It may do well out west. The only other bush that I recommend for planting permanently out west belongs in Crawford,TX.

Last edited:
Good tip Elmore, tho Illicium grows quite slow in shade so he'll have to start with a big one.

Better tip on the Crawford transplant. Maybe there are some old missile silos that bush could get planted in.

Weapons of mass destruction

Guy, I heard that they have discovered an "Empty Warhead" in the White House. yuk yuk

Thanks guys. Back to vines, what about Virginia creeper Vitaceae Parthenocissus quinquefolia? Is it fast growing, evasive, etc?

r

Originally posted by rustyb
what about Virginia creeper Vitaceae Parthenocissus quinquefolia? Is it fast growing, evasive, etc?
Not fast, especially in the shade, so not invasive and not evergreen either. Did you check for local types of Smilax and Gelsemium?

Thanks Guy. I haven't checked on the others yet as I have been busier than a one legged guy in a butt kicking contest. Will soon though.

vine

What do you want a vine to do? Climb? Crawl? Mound up? Fruit? Cover a structure?

Last edited:
Elmore,

As per my first post,

"I'm hoping to find something whether it be a bush, vine or small tree which is very fast growing, grows at least 6'-8' (don't need it taller), will tolerate little to no sun and provide a dense enough cover for good privacy"

I was just wanting something to provide some quick screening for privacy...and to cut down on the noise from my neighbors TV, midnight coughing & barking dog. I know a few plants aren't going to do much for the noise but it'll help. Main thing though is to keep that woman out of my sight. I don't care what it is as long as the stuff grows fast without much sun. I was just thinking that perhaps a vine would be nice as it could grow up the trees a ways and span them creating a jungle of sorts.

I appreciate the help and am open to all ideas concerning plants.

Thanks.

Just what the Doctor ordered

This sounds like a job for ... Kudzu!
prescription by, Dr. Jack Kevorkian

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur

"By the way. I do not want to alter my existing landscape to allow more sun to peek through."
Then you are sabotaging your goals. There are no fast growers that like dense shade. If you don't get an arborist or professional landscape designer on, you will not likely succeed.

Have to comment that it may be necessary to alter what you have to get results. Planting vine near mulberry not a good combo in my opinion, especially if allowed to take over the area. Mulberry can be invasive and adding vine will definitly give you the barrier you desire, but I suspect problems in short term. Take Guys advice and get someone to look at the site who can make some recomendations.

Screen

I would suggest that you cut all those crappy Mulberry trees down and replace them with 'Green Giant' Arbovitae. This will provide you with a dense, fast growing screen.

Im not necessarily up on nursery stock and 'Green Giant' arboriviteas in particular, but Ive never thought Arborvitaes to be fast growing:confused:

If i cut down the mulberries, id go back w/ a photinia. Bright red new growth, holds leaves yr round....not sure if id make it in Idado though. With that, Ill concede to those that said "Call a local Professional"

Are you referring to the Giant Green Thuja? I tried planting those here in zone 4. Thought they would be a fast growing screen like it said in the catalog. I've had them for two years now and they may have grown an inch! Very disappointing considering what I spent on them. Plus the deer or rabbits or someone likes to nibble on them, unlike what the wonderful catalog said. I believe its a cross between cedar and arborvitae.

Elmore's got a point, IF the mulberries are all too high and don't block view and noise. Interplanting with the right vines is good, Gelsemium and Smilax not invasive in NC so not in ID either I think.
Personally I like mulberries; I plant em for the birds and glossy foliage.
Thuja plicata is its own species not a cross. re growth rate, Don't believe everything you read in a sales brochure is the message there. Also they get very wide so planting as hedge gives a lifetime of shearing or those lower branches that screen will grow out of that spot and need removal.

The name after all is Green Giant, right?

Originally posted by fmueller
How bout greenbriar? Seems to be the northern version of Kudzu.
That's Smilax sp. nowhere near as invasive as kudzu, esp. in shade; also does not entwine and strangle so compatible with trees.

Latest posts

Back