Looking for shade loving fast growing tall plant for privacy screening.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Green Giant'

'Green Giant' arborvitae is a hybrid arborvitae between Thuja standishii and Thuja plicata. Said to be faster in growth than Leyland Cypress and much less prone to disease. A tad narrower in form.
A great vine, although may be slightly invasive, is Fiveleaf Akebia-Akebia quinata. Hardy in zones (4)5-8, deciduous to evergreen, vigorous grower, edible fruit. nice leaf silhouette and will grow well in shade or sun. Grows 20 to 40 feet. Generally used to cover a structure, i.e. trellis.
As for Mulberry. I like what Dirr says about it's "Landscape Value" ... None.

I was actually joking about the greenbriar. We have two types here. Some with the thorns, and some without. The thorny stuff is a real pta and is hard to get rid of. You just look at it and you get stuck. The stuff almost choked off a lilac I had planted. It wraps around it and blocks off the light to the leaves and will finally kill it off. Maybe not such a threat to large trees but it'll do in shrubbery and younger shorter trees.

Originally posted by fmueller
Are you referring to the Giant Green Thuja? I tried planting those here in zone 4. Thought they would be a fast growing screen like it said in the catalog. I've had them for two years now and they may have grown an inch! Very disappointing considering what I spent on them. Plus the deer or rabbits or someone likes to nibble on them, unlike what the wonderful catalog said. I believe its a cross between cedar and arborvitae.

After planting, the saying goes.... 1st year to sleep, 2nd year to creep, 3rd year they leap... I'd expect better growth next year, if that helps you any.

I'll be waiting for the leap! Got past the sleep and the creep I guess.

Originally posted by rustyb
Thanks guys. Back to vines, what about Virginia creeper Vitaceae Parthenocissus quinquefolia? Is it fast growing, evasive, etc?

r

Hey Rusty
Try Porceilin Berry Vine!
That suck boogies sun or shade and has cool features!
No winter leaf though!
Later
John

Latest posts

Back