Looking for smaller stump grinder. Is the sc 252 the right one for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clydesdale6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I am looking for a smaller stump grinder that will be adequate, but not a beast. I rented an sc 852 last year and that is WAY more machine than I would be able to purchase. I am looking for used and less than 10k. I live in NY at there are mostly Oak and maple trees in the area, maybe 12 to 36 inch stumps. Probably some 48 inch every once in a while. I am looking for a simple machine that is basic and mostly bullet proof. One that won't make me broke. I am able to fix most small gasoline engine and equipment issues myself. I am happy to answer any questions that will help you help me. Thanks.

The 252 seems to be what you're looking for.
Probably a bandit zt would be an alternative at a slightly higher price, but more comfort because of the tracks. On the other hand with dual wheels, the vermeer will give you more hillside stability.

The hillside versatility will be nice. What are the weak points of this machine? I am used to Kohler Command twin cylinder engines. I believe that is what is one these things.

The hillside versatility will be nice. What are the weak points of this machine? I am used to Kohler Command twin cylinder engines. I believe that is what is one these things.
The bearings on the cutter wheel wear out a lot.
The engine compression should be checked they tend to wear out and lose compression .Also see if the plugs are oiled up.

Latest posts

Back